Trusted Contributor

One of my cousin's granddaughters, who is 8 years old, refuses to eat anything except plain vanilla ice cream. She eats only small amounts of it.  She appears very thin and pale. My cousin said to give up and don't mention food. Her granddaughter gets upset if someone asks her to eat. This has been going on for several years. The parents don't seem concerned, just serve her ice cream three times a day when everyone else is eating regular food. Could she have an eating disorder at this age? They have taken her to the dr regularly and he says as long as she is growing she is fine. I worry. She seems too young for an eating disorder but I don't know much about them.

Honored Contributor

My major includes nutrition.  We started our children and grand children on vegetables from the time they could safely have table food and they eat salads in mixing bowls between meals.  Fruit bowls stay empty within hours of refilling.

I suggest looking at her blood work.  Minerals and vitamins help form needed brain and body development.

Honored Contributor

Re: Children not eating

[ Edited ]

I baby sat a little boy who would eat nothing but saltine crackers. NOTHING ELSE...for months. He got over it.... eventually....he survived.

Honored Contributor

My mother used to watch a neighbor's 2 kids while she worked and the one son would only eat bouillion, milkshakes and plain hot dogs.  He grew up healthy. 

Respected Contributor

A friend's daughter would eat only pasta. She's now in her 30s and healthy, still eating only pasta. All medical check-ups have been fine.

Amazing.

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure her attention span will improve on a diet of ice cream....   lack of many B vitamins and iron can cause health issues ,

Why did the parents give her icecream ?  Most young children learn to eat what the parents eat when everyone sits at the table together .

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover 

Do you know if the girl has a disorder on the autism spectrum?

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover   I'd say it's time for a new doctor.  Poor nutrition affects children in many ways other than an increase in size.  There is a serious problem that the medico is ignoring.  Please get help for this child. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@lolakimono: Great question Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I think drawing attention to her not eating might make things worse if there is a power struggle and potentially set the stage for more disordered eating as she gets older. I think @lolakimono has the right idea about testing to see if she in on the spectrum but hopefully it's just one of those phases that will pass with time. Does she take vitamins at least?

Maybe make a milk shake with a protein drink?