Trusted Contributor

Re: Children are all moving away

Thank you to all the moral support....we decided long ago we would never just follow any of our kids around the country or state if they move. Who knows how long they might be there before moving again? One DD has the kind of job that involves lots of travel, so we don't see her or her family very often anyway. I hope each of you are having a wonderful holiday. Happy 2022! 

Respected Contributor

I thank God every day my children both live close by. I used to kid and say if they ever lived in separate states I'd sell the house and buy an RV. I'd live 6 months by one and 6 months by the other. Since they have had children I'm no longer joking! I will follow my kids to the ends of the earth to be near my grands.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@CindyDale  Do you talk to them through the computer?  Forget what that's called.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know this is an older post but I saw more recent comments and wanted to express the opposite side of this instance occurring.   I went to college out of state but staying close enough in New England (where I grew up) for my family to be able to drive within 2 1/2 hrs to visit. My career and eventually my own family kept me there.  My brother lived in the state where I grew up, stayed and started his own family, but moved further away within easy driving distance to our parents.  However, the bombshell came when our parents up and decided to sell our childhood home, downsize completely but move to Florida! No discussion but they hated winters, ice, snow and all that. Understandable for retirees but the frustration for us was they missed holidays, seeing their kids and grandchildren. etc.  They visited summers and all that, but was not the same, in our selfish perspective. Those months were not the "big events or holidays".

Fast forward a couple years later and the pandemic struck. They were in FL, and the rest of us in NE.  Zoom became a lifeline we never considered before (duh!). Long story short: really what we feared was one of them getting seriously ill, and that fear was realized when my dad was hospitalized for a variety of serious conditions. A couple of months later he passed away, but my brother and I were able to get to FL to see him just in time. Being with my mom and brother during that time (with no kids or spouses bc of the pandemic) made me realize how much my parents enjoyed being down there, and also at the same time how much they missed us all every day.  They moved really for my dad's health.  I guess as their kids, sometimes your parents are far more ill than you understand, or want to acknowledge. They were able to be outside in the warmth and sunshine, taking day trips everywhere like we used to growing up, and they had friends that seemed to reinvigorate them for the few short years they got to enjoy it together.  They were out and about.  Yes, they missed us but they were happy and not stuck in a depressing New England winter that seems to go on longer than the rest of the country.  She will not move back to New England, and I support her wishes.  She is enjoying life and joining ladies clubs in her community. She came up for holidays this year and a wedding earlier in the year. I realize now, it is not always easy for either party to be apart (particularly these last two years) but the times you do share are important.

We are all fortunate to have our mom, dad, kids, friends and family wherever in the world they may be.

Honored Contributor

Many people are moving.  Many states like New york, PA, IL, IN etc are losing population.  Many are seeking the sun belt like Florida (who's beginning to resemble California with huge populations) Texas and Arizona (no longer for retired people) or formerly sparsely populated places like Wyoming, Colorado especially), Idaho and Oregon and South Dakota (of all places).  So the future looks like a very different U.S.   

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Many people are moving.  Many states like New york, PA, IL, IN etc are losing population.  Many are seeking the sun belt like Florida (who's beginning to resemble California with huge populations) Texas and Arizona (no longer for retired people) or formerly sparsely populated places like Wyoming, Colorado especially), Idaho and Oregon and South Dakota (of all places).  So the future looks like a very different U.S.   

@songbird  I'm in southern NY and no one I know has moved. We also have a company here call Pfizer and they employ a lot of people.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Got this from a list of states losing population and gaining population in 2021.  I know 3 people that packed up and moved from Maryland to Colorado.  Two of them in the same place, Boulder.  They love it there. I'm still surprised over South Dakota.  North Dakota is still losing people. Housing cost in Boulder is very expensive now.  In the South, it's still cheaper to buy a house.  But if more people  migrate south, it could all change. 

Occasional Contributor

sorry to hear but this is life cycle. every one should be move fowrward and children always towards new path on his career. but you do busy in some other activites because this time also passed. 

Honored Contributor

My husband was military, so we were not home to live for 20 yrs.  But we always knew the way home, and those visits were special.  When that time was up, we came home.  Kids will find their way home for visits and holidays.  You don't want them to live with you forever.  Welcome the changes, time passes, it just is that way.  We still have phones, and now you can see and talk to them over your computer.  We never had that. It's all good as I look back.  When they are done flying around, chances are good, they'll end up in the same town as you are in.

Super Contributor

Once the kids get married, there's every chance they'll move away - sometimes with a job, or in your case, moving near family of the daughter in law.  I wouldn't rush to move closer, as the job may move them again.  But I agreed it's sad for you when you love your grandkids,  Maybe you can arrange for the grandkids to come for an extended visits during school holidays,