Trusted Contributor

Re: Children are all moving away

Would love to at least see them on holidays but they travel abroad so often it would never happen. 

Respected Contributor

@Duckncover  Some suggestions:

~ If you have a big anniversary coming up, make it known you'd like everyone to come for that and start making plans for a big party.

~ Maybe start a tradition of having 'grandparents/cousins long weekend' every year. The grandkids come and the adults have that time for themselves. You plan simple outings (ie park day, ice cream shop, etc) and activities (ie arts and crafts, movie night, etc) to do while they're there. 

~ Set some goals for yourself to accomplish between visits. Having something else to focus on will help the time go faster. 

~ Become an 'adoptive grandma' in your neighborhood/church community. It's pretty likely there are kids in your area that aren't seeing their grandparents very often for various reasons and you can make a difference for them.

Regular Contributor

That is quite a blow to have them all move around the same time.  I know how difficult it is.  I have one daughter and her family who are about two hours away and had one that lived in Colorado.  We visited as oftern as we could but it just wasn't the same, not having us all together especially at the holidays but I took what I could get.  About two years ago my daughter and her family in Colorado decided they wanted to be back closer to family so they are now 40 minutes away.  It was such a blessing for us.  Try to keep you chin up and be positive for them, I'm sure its hard for them too.  Learn how to use Facetime or other technology.  While it isn't as good as an in person visit you will be able to keep up with them and what is going on in their lives.

It is what it is!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@DuckncoverI feel your pain....

My daughter hit us with the news that their family was moving to Florida in August.....out of the blue.....(we live in Ohio)

I guess her hubby was looking for a job in his field that paid more.  They have sold their home and her and my only granddaughter will be joining her hubby in 2 weeks......

I am devastated...they lived a mile from us for 10 years and we got along so well...

Honored Contributor

And then I sometimes think about some of my deceased relatives who moved here from another country.  Without all of the electronic phones and gadgets we have now a days.

So, at least O/P's children are living here in the USA.

And I do understand her feelings, and would probably feel the same.

Try to make new friends, and neighbors.  

Wishing all the best of luck and health.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

The last of the kids, with the grands, left this morning for their new home out of state. Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement...and I see many of us have been through similar circumstances. I appreciate all of you! ❤️

Respected Contributor

Yes, Della, they could be farther away.  Friend's daughter is in Australia, others are in Europe.  Not that those words make you feel any better, I know you must be so very, very sad.  One of my kids moved away, the other is fairly close.  I'm grateful for that.  Sending you a hug.  So sorry.  As another poster said, we give our kids wings and roots.  They have roots, but maybe those wings didn't have to work so well.  

Valued Contributor

I never wanted anything more from my 4 children other than to find their happiness and independence. It doesn't make it easy, but you obviously did a great job! They're fearless and willing to pursue their dreams. Too many parents have smothered their children and they end up living with their parents well into adulthood. You gave them everything they need to fly out of the nest. Be proud of this accomplishment! You're a good mama bird! 

Super Contributor

Oh my ........  I can hear it in your heart.  That would be hard.  How close are they to you before this move ?  Close by ?  Or ?  With your husbands health issues, this also has to be hard as well.   .  Take it all , one day at a time.  This time of the year is already 

tough enough.  All of them moving away , all before Thanksgiving and Christmas.... and with grandkids.  Understandably bittersweet.   Hopefully they will come to see you both once they get settled.   Keep us posted.  Wishing only the best for you, your husband, grown children and grandchildren.

Regular Contributor

You have a spouse to whom you can spend time with now.
I went through this alone. Still am.
Console in each other.
Now you both can maybe RV together traveling to beautiful States visiting your family. Learn new things. ****** stale in the bud. It’s a new exciting chapter perhaps.