Honored Contributor

Re: Children are all moving away

One of my greatest fears was that one of my girls would move far away and I would be deprived of a close relationship with my grandchildren.  I have a friend who is a visiting grandmother, her daughter and her children moved to FL.  She missed her grandchildren terrible when they moved.  That was about 5 years ago.  She spends Christmas week with them.  She tries to stay close but it's hard since they only see each other for a week every year.  It's a loss but you'll figure it out.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

Found out this week that our two daughters and our son are all moving to other parts of the country. We are in LA and they are moving to Maine, Oregon, and Alaska. Could they possibly be moving any farther away from us? That means 7 grands moving too. This all happens before the end of the year. Two are job transfers and one is to move back to DIL's birth place in Oregon. She has no family there any longer. We are both devastated and are almost numb. None of them will be here for Thanksgiving or Christmas either. Enjoy your family while you can. We are not able to travel due to DH's health. Has anyone else been through such a thing?

I feel your pain. One of my sons is in the military so he, his wife, and kids are always far away. We do facetime and the kids know me so it's a joy to at least do that.  But they're never able to join the family for holidays etc. I really miss them.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry this is all happening at once for you. 

I can only imagine how different this is going to make your life, and how devastating it must feel.

Respected Contributor

This is sad but very common. When I was growing up, we put down roots; I don't think today's generation is interested in that. I have a retired friend who has moved a dozen times in probably the last 20 years, always following her children when they move for new jobs. It makes me think more about my family who all live nearby and why I don't visit them more often. I really feel for you, @Duckncover , I know how sad this must make you.

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

This is sad but very common. When I was growing up, we put down roots; I don't think today's generation is interested in that. I have a retired friend who has moved a dozen times in probably the last 20 years, always following her children when they move for new jobs. It makes me think more about my family who all live nearby and why I don't visit them more often. I really feel for you, @Duckncover , I know how sad this must make you.

@Carolina925  When my siblings and I grew up in the fifties and early sixties between college and living all around the country we were never living around our parents. Eventually one settled in another country and two of us in different states. Only one kid stayed in our hometown near our parents. It happens even in earlier generations.

Trusted Contributor

It's the way it is but is it the right thing to do? I don't think so. I think families should stay closer than they do. I don't think they should move away, even for career advancement. Of course if one of my kids said they were moving away I wouldn't say anything like this but that doesn't mean I agree with it.

Respected Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

It's the way it is but is it the right thing to do? I don't think so. I think families should stay closer than they do. I don't think they should move away, even for career advancement. Of course if one of my kids said they were moving away I wouldn't say anything like this but that doesn't mean I agree with it.

It doesn't always mean a career advancement, but rather just to be employed. Many couples meet at college , and come from different parts of the country. Which family should they live close to?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

We actually have gone through the opposite.  My parents moved across the country away from their kids and grandkids.  Now my dad's health is not great so they can't travel to see us and its not easy for me to travel to see them either.  

We live close to my MIL and I really want to move for many reasons and do not like the town we live in any longer.  DH is very worried about moving because of her as she relies heavily on us.  Honestly the only way we could get her to move out of her home is for us (the only kids near her) to move.  Ultimately we have to do what is best for us and not MIL.  

Even with DH's health problems would you consider moving to be closer to any of your kids.

Trusted Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

Oregon is a long way from Louisiana. Am still trying to figure out how all of this will turn out. I found out one son said his move was " just an experiment" and his company may move him to St Paul in a few months. Who knows? 

I was going to ask if you were in Los Angeles or Louisiana -I think some thought it was the former; anyway, I'm sorry for you...it must be very hard.  My dh and I would like to move out of state next year when our kids graduate, but I can't leave my elderly parents.  We are the only ones here for them so I just can't.  I hope you find some peace, and who knows...they may be back again at some point!

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

We won't be able to travel due to DH's health. It would require them to com to us. I doubt very much that would ever happen. One of them has several homes across the country; beach resorts, cabins, condos in NYC. 
Thanks for all of the words of encouragement.