Trusted Contributor

Children are all moving away

[ Edited ]

Found out this week that our two daughters and our son are all moving to other parts of the country. We are in LA and they are moving to Maine, Oregon, and Alaska. Could they possibly be moving any farther away from us? That means 7 grands moving too. This all happens before the end of the year. Two are job transfers and one is to move back to DIL's birth place in Oregon. She has no family there any longer. We are both devastated and are almost numb. None of them will be here for Thanksgiving or Christmas either. Enjoy your family while you can. We are not able to travel due to DH's health. Has anyone else been through such a thing?

Honored Contributor

Re: Children are all moving away

So sorry to hear this.  We don't have children but a good friend who lives in NYC has a daughter who moved to Colorado and a son who moved to Virginia.  She grew up in a very close knit family and I know she's disappointed about the situation.  BUT this is the reality of life in the 21st century.  People have to go where the jobs are.  Perhaps you can visit on your own.  Oregon isn't too far from LA anyway.

Respected Contributor

@Duckncover Our only child lives far away, so I understand your sense of loss. We have only been together once since COVID began. My husband and I have adjusted to having holidays alone. My suggestion is to do things differently. Change the meal, decorate differently, and above all do not dwell on how it used to be.

Make lots of phone calls and talk about happy things. Imagine yourself experiencing some of the new adventures they are having. Embrace their new locales. Resisting will only make you more miserable.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

So sorry to hear this.  We don't have children but a good friend who lives in NYC has a daughter who moved to Colorado and a son who moved to Virginia.  She grew up in a very close knit family and I know she's disappointed about the situation.  BUT this is the reality of life in the 21st century.  People have to go where the jobs are.  Perhaps you can visit on your own.  Oregon isn't too far from LA anyway.

people always went where the jobs were/are

and you can get to VA in a few hours from NYC .

Colorado not  so much 

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50  i think @Duckncover @meant LA as in Louisiana not Los Angeles.

@Duckncover I am sooo sorry. This has got to be devastating. Maybe your DH may be able to travel ( train msybe) in the future. 

In the meantime, if you don't know how to FaceTime, this would be a good time to set up and learn. I hear it helps with long distance communication over time with families. 

Honored Contributor

good time to embrace the good tech we have now 

be happy we can do facetime, we facetime constantly with the grandson

do a family group chat on Whatsapp so everyone can see whats happening 

Respected Contributor

That's what good parents do, they raise their children to be loving & have a productive independent life from them. Of course you'll miss them but be happy & proud of them for taking advantage of their new opportunities. Kids move away, many when they turn 18 so be grateful for the time you had them close by. Tell your kids & grandkids their move we be great...moving is not easy, I'm sure they're full of stress too. I wish your family All The Best. Be well @Duckncover.

Esteemed Contributor

Dellaelle, I am so sorry for the many good-byes. I know exactly how it feels. Both my daughters left for other states. Then my youngest daughter moved even further away. I live in upstate NY. One daughter and granddaughter live in California, my other granddaughter and daughter live in CT. My married grandson lives in Maryland. There are no more entire-family get-togethers. My husband has Alzheimer's so traveling has become impossible. I do use technology, though...Zoom, FaceTime, texting, etc. It's better than nothing, so despite our missing everyone I have learned to make the best of if.

Regular Contributor

Seems to happen in every family !! Our kids and grands live hundreds of miles away.  Our son bought us a Portal a few years ago and we love it !  It sits right on my kitchen counter and I can sit and  chat with all of them !  Play hangman with the grands, listen to their piano practices, watch as they open a surprise I sent them and the list goes on and on.  Making the best of it.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover I am so very sorry to hear this!  I can only imagine just how devastating you and your DH feel.  It's particualry hard since they are all moving at the same time!

While my two adult kids are nearby (DS actually moved back home since he transferred a new job and decided that he had enough of the city....I expect him to move soon but he will not be far), I have good friends and relatives who have adult children who are far away. 

My best friend has a son who moved out west (we are in PA) and she has not seen him since the beginning of the pandemic.  Two of my nephews are in Boston which is a long drive and we have not seen them for a long time too.  My DH also has health issues and really can't travel.

I know it doesn't help your situation but I think there are many who are facing the same thing.  You are not alone though it may feel like it.