Respected Contributor

Re: Children are all moving away

@Duckncover wrote:

Found out this week that our two daughters and our son are all moving to other parts of the country. We are in LA and they are moving to Maine, Oregon, and Alaska. Could they possibly be moving any farther away from us? That means 7 grands moving too. This all happens before the end of the year. Two are job transfers and one is to move back to DIL's birth place in Oregon. She has no family there any longer. We are both devastated and are almost numb. None of them will be here for Thanksgiving or Christmas either. Enjoy your family while you can. We are not able to travel due to DH's health. Has anyone else been through such a thing?

always heeartbreaking to read about adult children abandoning their parents. The nuclear family is under attack.

Respected Contributor

@Reever 

"Abandoning their parents"?!?!?

Could be worse...like a family under a nuclear attack...

People move. That's what happens in life...if there are no good jobs or an area is dying and you have kids that want or need better education or a future...you gotta move...

IF you have a job transfer that will improve your future...what do you do? Quit to stay back/

Thankfully there are many more ways to stay connected today...online, video on the phone, etc.

I would NEVER want someone to stay in an area with little opportunity if they didn't want to just to be "near me"....

It's also possible that they feel like there's too MUCH "family" if you get my drift. The kids that are not your kids ( spouses for instance of your kids) may feel like it's ALWAYS your family affairs that they have to attend...I can tell you from experience, that's not fair, and it causes irreparable harm in many cases.

Can they come to YOU to visit? Planes fly both ways after all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am child free, but always believed that children leave the nest....it is normal.

Why would they feel obligated to stay around their parents?  It is normal for children to move on. Do not have children expecting them to hover around you.

You need to get on with your life...let them get on with theirs. If you need help....pay for it.  Nothing worse than expecting children to be care takers....not fair to them.  Get hobbies...make new friends that you can do things with...children should not have to be there for you not to be lonely.