Honored Contributor

When my mom pursed her lips - or called me by my full name. . . Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Can You Relate?

[ Edited ]

'I should say not'.  (lol)  Very familiar saying.

Yes, 'No' meant no.

We did or didn't do just about everything our mom (and dad) said to do or not do.

Lucky they seemed to be always right.  And always based on our safety in the short and long run.

Well, it was a decent childhood, and we felt fairly safe no matter where we were.  Looking back, feeling safe was a good feeling. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Just the best parents. They were older when I was born. I was a terrible baby. Cried the first three months. Day and night. Solid food and I was fine. When my father swore my brother and I knew we were in trouble. Everything we did was as a family. I was blessed to have them. They lived long lives. Then we took care of them. Tears as I write this.

Honored Contributor

As long as you didn't speak, didn't need anything and stayed out of his way, you were on the right side of my father. Otherwise, God help you. My mom wasn't much better, but she did try.

Honored Contributor

Haha!  I used to give my kids "The grip" on the upper arm or shoulder....it stopped them in their tracks!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus...sounds like my dad, he had the look. 

Respected Contributor

In church, every Sunday. 

Respected Contributor

All my Children would stop "whatever" when they got "My Look."

And then there was the adding their middle name when I could not see them.  They are all grown up now, but they still talk about it.

Two youngest Sons live with us.  I know all the middle names of their friends who come here regularly to hang out for Football, Basketball, Hockey Games...

They make a mess in my Kitchen fixing snacks, and their middle name comes out when I holler at them...  My Sons just crack up - "Dude, you are in trouble now!"  "LOL!"  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Trusted Contributor

i sure can.

Respected Contributor

Yes, this and all the other things ppl have mentioned (calling me by my full name, etc).  However, I never had to worry - the oldest of my two brothers marched to the beat of a different drummer and always was going against our parents' wishes.  As such, whenever I was in trouble, I never had to worry bc without fail my brother would come along and do something much more egregious and they'd forget about whatever minor thing I did.