Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

My eyesight has been deteriorating recently and I can no longer read the name/number on the phone, so I can't tell who is calling. I do have a whistle and I do use it sometimes when I think it's a real person and not a robo call.  But most of the time it won't do much good because it's just a recording.  Sadly I have to answer most of the time because it might be a real call.

@Perkup   I have a big "Sherlock Holmes" magnifying glass by the phone.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Called?  I've never ever had anyone cold call me for a credit card.  I would never take such a call.  It's suspicious.  I am getting an increasing number of CC solicitations in the mail almost like back in the day before the bottom fell out.  At 57, I have all credit I will ever need and we have cash now since we are not raising or educating kids.  

Honored Contributor

@elizabethl123 wrote:

THEY KEEP CALLING  ME TO GET MORE   SOOOOO I BOUGHT A WHISTLE  TODAY THEY CALLED 4 TIMES  THE 4TH CALL I BLEW MY WHISTLE     LOL

let all calls go to an answering machine 

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

My eyesight has been deteriorating recently and I can no longer read the name/number on the phone, so I can't tell who is calling. I do have a whistle and I do use it sometimes when I think it's a real person and not a robo call.  But most of the time it won't do much good because it's just a recording.  Sadly I have to answer most of the time because it might be a real call.

if it is a real call they will leave a message for you and you can pick up

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I get calls all day every day from ppl wanting to reduce my CC interest rate. In the past, I've been nice by telling them I never carry a balance, I pay off my card monthly. Then I would pick up and say, "Not interested". Now, I either pick up the phone, click it on and lie it down while they call out my name or turn it on and immediately turn it off. I desperately need a whistle! These ppl are driving me nuts.

@wishmoon  Everytime you answer one of these unsolicited calls, you're telling the scammers there's someone at your number, the phone is answered so there's a potential customer... Keep calling this number.   You're getting a lot of calls because you answer them.  Just let them go. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

After my Grandfather passed away in 1981  my Grandmother had to answer all calls.  Of course this was before many people had answering machines and no one had caller id.  One of the first things my Aunt and Dad got my Grandmother was a whistle to keep by the phone for annoying calls.  She did use it several times before she passed in 2012.  Still had the same wall kitchen phone and no caller id.  She was not afraid to use her whistle.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Don't answer the phone....the more to answer, the more it will increase calls.  Block numbers that don't leave a message.  You can look up numbers on your computer before blocking to read complaints.  But over 90% of the incoming calls are scams.  It has really gotten tricky because the same scammers will use the your area code and the first three digits of your number thinking that you will think it is someone you know.  I know to automatically block when this happens.  I don't put much energy, thought, or emotion in this process...just block and get on with my life.

@phoenixbrd

I screen all calls and don't answer.  It's sad because now call blockers dont even work anymore because as you said these scammers now spoof phone numbers----hospitals, dr offices, churches---all local so people think an emergency has taken place to a loved one and pick up the phone......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@elizabethl123

Well there is a number you can call to reduce the credit card and insurance calls ..... unfortunately it is about as effective as the "do not call" number...............Woman Frustrated

You can opt out of receiving prescreened calls of credit cards and insurance you can opt out of them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. To opt out for five years: Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

NEVER NEVER NEVER give your personal, credit card, bank card, or other information to anyone who calls you.  It's a scam!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know the answer to this, so I am just wondering, if someone blew a whistle at a telemarketer, could that person, and/or the company sue the person for damages due to any hearing loss, pain & suffering as a result of having had the whistle blown in their ear?

Anybody know?