Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying Christmas gifts for adult children who are married

[ Edited ]

DH and I used to give gifts and cash to his 2 adult sons and their wives (my step-sons/DILs). This year we all agreed to end the adult gift-giving and instead use that $$ for the 5 grandsons instead. They'll use the additional cash to buy something a little more expensive or save it if they want. They're all good boys and level-headed, so we know they'll make good choices.

Honored Contributor

We always know of something they want.  I give my DIL jewelry since I have more time to hunt down pieces she'll love (Our taste is the same).  I buy her clothes during the year.

Our son is easy.  He always needs a computer update or a better fishing pole.  He loves breakfast, so I got him a big Lodge griddle and a pig bacon press! along with other items that will work well for him.

Honored Contributor

Our daughter got married in November and I was able to find two things off the registry, one for her and one for him, matching pajamas, their favorite gift cards for each of them and a joint gift.

Respected Contributor

Years ago we got )$100 cash gift from in-laws dnd I tucked away for rainy day. Funny how those days come along and I feel so grateful to them! Always appreciated
Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I buy lots. I buy whats on what my kids want. They let me know what to get their spouses. Then I buy some together gifts. I only have 2 kids and always overindulge! I love giving gifts! 

I choose not to overindulge, I give to Toys for Tots and the food pantry. So many people in need that I prefer to help rather than the overindulgence philosophy.

Two of my charities as well.  I was a civilian supporting the Marines the last 5 years of my career.  Each year they would collect for Toys for Tots so I've continued once retired.  I give to the Food Bank around the holidays and a few more times during the year.  

Honored Contributor

I'm late to the party on this one, but there is always next year! LOL

I have only one child, 23 years old now, not living at home anymore. 

I buy gifts for him most times. Sometimes I will give a gift card, if I think that is what he needs. I'm usually pretty in tune to what he likes or what his needs are though. 

He has a girlfriend (and two years ago he had a girlfriend that came on Christmas too). I have decided since they are longer term relationships, I buy the girls the same number of gifts I get him, but their's is often not expensive (but nice just the same). 

We have cut back dramatically over the last several years, and this year I got each 'kid' seven gifts, plus some stuff (cheap) in the stockings. That might sound like a lot, but several of the gifts were cheap (like everyone gets socks from me for Christmas), all were practical. 

Being that we only buy for son (and a girl friend if he has one at the holiday), and my mom, we don't mind spending more on the kid, as we aren't gifting half the world anymore! LOL

Super Contributor

I usually get my DDs gifts they would not buy for themselves, 

such as (this year) a My Pillow Body Pillow, and added the cases too.

One year I bought a half dozen of ShopHQs “famous” cozy wraps

in various colors for everyone. (men too, depending on style).

But what I want are coffee/subway gift cards, as I don’t need anything 

else in my tiny space!

Even generic cash gift cards or Amazon cards are extremely appreciated.

Ive decided that from here on, my family members (except kids) will each 

get thier favorite Coffee shop gift card, along with perhaps a generic cash or Amazon card.

Usually I shop year round for the next Xmas and end up with closets full of items (usually bought during After Xmas Clearance Sales!).

Then the thought of bagging/wrapping everything overwhelms me, thus, I wait until the 23rd/4th to wrap!! Gift wrapping is NOT a talent I have and so I usually toss everything in gift bags w tissue,

Ill still give one gift, but it’s primarily GIFT CARDS from now on!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We only have 1 adult daughter and she likes cold, hard cash.

Our grandkids are 8 indoor cats, so they're easy to buy for, LOL!

We also send a nice check to her Vet, paying towards her never endng Vet bill.

@KingstonsMom - What a great idea!!! My children are single, so I won't have to worry about spouses for a while. Smiley Wink

Contributor

I am Jewish, so growing we did Hanukkah. I am not sure if it is a Jewish thing or not. But standard practice for my family (inc. cousins) is once you turn 18 no one gets gifts. As Hanukkah is more of a Childrens holiday.  We still light the menorah.  But past that it is assumed that you have the money to buy your own gifts once you turn 18.

I have lots of Christian friends and married a Non-Jewish person.  I still get amazed that people will spends ALOT of money over Christmas gifts.  Most Jews will get their kids small stuff or if it is expensive (like a Cell Phone) that is the persons ONLY gift for the 8 days.

Respected Contributor

We give our kids a substantial amount of cash near the end of each year and tell them two things.

1.  We have found from our own experience that it's better to receive  money when it is most useful to a young family, rather than wait until kids and grandkids are grown themselves and have no pressing use for the money.

2.  This gift is nothing more than part of  "your inheritance in advance" --so don't get excited about it.  LOL!