Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying Christmas gifts for adult children who are married

Two kids & their spouses. Some gifts  to open on Christmas morning (never get too old for that!) one household item or small appliance and gift card or cash. Gifts for the dogs, of course. They are hilarous to watch when opening their gifts. I swear my dog knows and loves Christmas! He insists on opening his gift box first- he cannot contain his excitement.

Siblings and nieces/ nephews. For the kids, who are all teens or older, a gift (2 girls, 2 boys). Once the kids graduate from college they get a check and the gift giving stops.

Siblings: this year most were not feeling the gift exchange, Secret Santa, etc. After all these years we have tried them all. This year we decided to play games, especially since the youngest is 13. Always fun and everyone has the choice to participate or not.

Trusted Contributor

I give my DS and DIL money well ahead of Christmas.  I tell them they can divide it among their family any way they want.  The rules are that they have to spend it and they have to wrap it.  

I also give season passes to a local amusement park for my son and the two children who are old enough.  I bought my DIL a Vera Bradley weekender since she doesn't want to do amusement park rides.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister does not give gifts to her son or her adult nieces and nephews. She and my BIL are there to help them everyday.

She does give gifts to grand-nieces and a nephew. 

Honored Contributor

Cash, unless something else is requested (and it's not). We don't put a hugh emphasis on gifts and there still are plenty gifts under the tree. 

Honored Contributor

My daughters are 30ish, they have good incomes, they don't need our money.  Both hubby and I give them gifts for Christmas, similar and in the same price range.  This Christmas, I am giving them gold earrings.  Hubby is giving them each a Philosophy set.  Same set, different scent.  The girls are 14 months apart in age so we have always given them the same or similar gifts.  We do the same with their husbands, we buy them similar Christmas gifts in the same price range.  That's what works in our family.   

Honored Contributor

If those in our family get together were more fun, the holidays would be more enjoyable....it's sad but true...no arguments, no difficulties, they are  ALL very quiet and it is a small group, getting them to carry on a conversation is painful....will be glad when it's over.

To answer the question:  We gift everyone...2 adult daughters.....money,  gifts and money for 2 young adult grand kids.   1 young grandchild and the 2 great grandkids, educational toys/books.  I started the last great grandchild on collecting Snow babies so along with her gifts she gets the collectible.

We are not all together for the holiday so I need to plan ahead to get shopping done and in the mail.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I buy lots. I buy whats on what my kids want. They let me know what to get their spouses. Then I buy some together gifts. I only have 2 kids and always overindulge! I love giving gifts! 

I choose not to overindulge, I give to Toys for Tots and the food pantry. So many people in need that I prefer to help rather than the overindulgence philosophy.

Esteemed Contributor

they don't need anything....we don't need anything...we stopped exchanging gifts last christmas.......

Respected Contributor

Thank goodness, no one in our family needs anything.  I always give everyone one wrapped gift of any sensible price--something they may not think to buy for themselves.  I also give any houseguest or visitor a gift.  Actually they seem to be the most grateful--you know, singles, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DIL loves my taste and I dress her.  I ask her what she needs and I ask her about specific items.  (Do you have a good black blazer to put with your skirts?").  I also buy her jewelry.

I ask my DIL what our son needs.

We also give gift cards if an item is wanted we can't pick out, like a new fishing rod.