Respected Contributor

Buying Christmas gifts for adult children who are married

Just wondering what everybody does. Do you give money, do they make their lists or do you buy a joint gift? We usually give each money and something to open costing under $50.

Honored Contributor

Re: Buying Christmas gifts for adult children who are married

I buy lots. I buy whats on what my kids want. They let me know what to get their spouses. Then I buy some together gifts. I only have 2 kids and always overindulge! I love giving gifts! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I buy my kids something for each to open and the bigger gifts tend to be communal type of gift cards that benefit both of them.

Honored Contributor

The older we get, the less we need or want.  Our gift giving is minimal.  The big deal is that our whole family is together on Thanksgiving or on Christmas Eve.  We laugh, talk and have a great time.  It's the only think I like about the holidays.

However, I do shop for my grandkids.   I try to include something their parents wouldn't think of.  I got the twins ukuleles for their 3rd birthday and they love them.  They play and sing for me on facetime.  

Honored Contributor

I give cash to my adult kids and their spouses.  My parents always gave cash to me at Christmas.

It was so appreciated.  We really needed money back then to tie us over the holiday season.

Honored Contributor

We only have 1 adult daughter and she likes cold, hard cash.

Our grandkids are 8 indoor cats, so they're easy to buy for, LOL!

We also send a nice check to her Vet, paying towards her never endng Vet bill.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

We are very blessed....nobody needs anything.  So we stopped gifting to the adults many years ago.  As a family we decide on a charity each year,  and the money we would have spent on adult gifts gets donated to that charity.  We still buy for the children.

Trusted Contributor

We buy gifts. We shop throughout the year so its easier.  I have 1 daughter, Son in law and a step grandson.  We just buy things we think they would like that they might not buy for themselves. If I hear them mention something they want I make a note of it.  I love gift giving.

Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

We are very blessed....nobody needs anything.  So we stopped gifting to the adults many years ago.  As a family we decide on a charity each year,  and the money we would have spent on adult gifts gets donated to that charity.  We still buy for the children.

This is what I do.  One brother and my sister have kids and I bought for them growing up and when they hit 18 I stopped.  When these nieces and nephew began to have kids I did not buy gifts for them bc my sister and brother (their grandparents) do. 

So these days I now send a check to the county food bank.  All money stays local.  

Respected Contributor

We give money-it always seems well received!