Valued Contributor

Best video phone chat options for long-distance g-parents?

We are currently using a PlayStation 3 video phone chat camera on both ends, but the quality is poor & there are few adjustment options.  We want a camera that can be either zoomed-in to see our grandbaby's cute little face, or zoomed way out so we can watch her playing on her play mat or moving about the room, once she is sitting up.  We also want sound quality that doesn't keep fading in & out, if possible; so we can read her books for storytime.  Does anyone use a video cam/webcam/anything they can recommend, that has good video quality, good sound/audio quality, & more setting options for zooming in/out?  Since we'll have to foot the bill on both ends, we are hoping for one that also won't break the bank, although any & all price options will be considered.

Many thanks in advance for helpful replies! 

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Super Contributor

Re: Best video phone chat options for long-distance g-parents?

Currently, I use Skype to visit with my daughter and her family. Sometimes the audio and  video are great,  and then other times we have all sorts of problems.  But I push through it.  A lousy connection is better than none at all.   But they are in Ethiopia, and Africa is not set up for satellite signals like other countries. And the same thing happened when they were in Shanghai.

Not sure about other types of cameras.  She moves her tablet back and forth so I  can see the children better.

Are they stateside, or overseas?

I am just Thrilled I can see them no matter how the connection is!

Honored Contributor

@Serenity-Now  My sister is in Australia and we use FaceTime on our IPads. Works great. I see all that goes on there and she can see all that goes on here in the USA.

Valued Contributor

@pegomyheart, I apologise for the delay in responding to your Q, I didn't see it until just now.  They are in the USA, a few thousand miles from us.  We are currently using our PS3, which has a very inexpensive webcam-type camera one can purchase on each end, and it shows all of us sitting in our living rooms, instead of doing a close-up computer camera type of thing.  The quality isn't that good, & the sound ducks in & out on us, but that is probably something they all tend to do.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my Q, I appreciate it!  I agree, we are lucky to have this technology in current times Smiley Happy

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

@Serenity-Now Our son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren live in Sweden and we talk on SKYPE all the time. Works great for us.