Contributor

Re: Best Way To Learn Letters That Is Fun?

Wow, they did good Smiley Happy They aren't suggesting I hold him back (he's already the oldest and socially he would be really large if we did it another time since he'd be almost two years older than everyone then) but they are telling me I really need to kick it into gear at home too. I am going to use a lot of these ideas, some are so great! Heart

Honored Contributor

@IHeartFashion I would look into some games or card games that have numbers and letters.

Make it fun  and still he can learn.

With our grandson and granddaughter when we walked up the stairs or down, we would count each step.

It wasn't long before they were counting.

I taught our two sons when they were little to count like this:

I Love You one.

Then they would say "I Love You two".

I Love You three.

They are 30 and 34 today but they will still count with meHeart

Frequent Contributor

I used to play a "License PLate Game" with my kids.  When we were in the car, we'd take the letters from the license plates of passing cars and make up silly sayings.  For example: 123 LDD would e: 123 "Little Dancing Doggie" or some such thing as that.  Some sayings would get pretty funny - the kids loved it. 

Trusted Contributor

Do you read to him?  You can have point out the letters of his name, familiar words.  I think reading is VERY important to every age of child.  My first GD learned numbers from our poker games, she wasn't in school yet.  She learned how they work and the value of numbers by bargaining with how many bites to take before she was done eating.  I'd say 10, she would say 3, repeat 10, until the amount was acceptable to me. Then she would count each bite until she came to number agreed on.  I didn't spend the time with my own kids because it was "the TEACHERS" job to teach them. That was the way it was in my family growing up.---------tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

@IHeartFashion - I recommend card games (anything like memory where he can turn two card ps over and see if they match but also count how many hearts or diamond

s there are...cards are great) and dice games, as well as finding alphabet bingo on Amazon.

One great game is having your child roll a dice/die and write down the number he rolls.  Over and over.  Then he can tally them up and see how many ones he rolled, how many twos....it seems like a game but it is a great way to learn.  Hopefully your teacher can give you suggestions!  

There are some fun IPad apps where the child traces letters with their finger while the letter is said out loud by the monkey.  Kindergarten focuses a lot on letters and sounds too so don't worry too much at this point!  Some kids don't know any letters when they start kinder.  

Honored Contributor

I bought the alphabet cards and would drop a random amount on the floor and then turn it into a Sesame Street game show...GIVE ME an A...A yea!It took a lot of my energy to make it exciting but he loved it.I gave him pocker chips for each correct letter and then he could save them towards different treats.We had a list on the fridge of his favorites and he counted up the chips...counting lesson...to see how close he was to earning a reward.

Super Contributor

I've taught kindergarten for 15 years and now teach transitional kindergarten.  There are lots of fun ways to teach letter names and sounds but one that I utilize and the kids never seem to tire of is Go Fish.  Go buy a card set with the letters, I've seen them in grocery stores, target etc.

Then play Go Fish.  First we do letter names and then we start with sounds.  If the kids can't hold the cards they lay them face up on the table, doesn't matter if everyone can see the cards, because they have fun looking for the letter.

Valued Contributor

@IHeartFashion wrote:

He's 4, in pre-k (the oldest in the class) and doesn't know ANY letters or numbers... she was worried because he also only knew a few colors and shapes. I feel like a failed mama with him Smiley Sad

Please do not feel this way.  With my 2nd daughter, she was reading the Bible(not the entire Bible but what she had been read)  at age 2.  Yes age 2.  Her pediatrician actually paid for her to go to K-3 in a Christian School because at the time I could not afford it.. She  was advanced until 4th grade.  Her MD told me some children advance early but by middle school or 6th grade they all level out USUALLY.   My daughter did level out and was a good student but not honors by any means.  The moral of this is that some children advance early and some later but they eventually all NORMALLY have the same ability by a certain age.   Just like walking.  Some walk early and some later but they all eventually walk if they are healthy.  YOU ARE A GOOD MOM!  Proven by your being upset about this and seeking help.   The school will give you some learning tips and their are so many learning toys out now.   My thoughts will be with you.  

New Contributor

I have a suggestion. Since he doesn't recognize any letters o numbers. You can start explaning that all letter and numbers have different lines.  We form letter with straight lines, curve lines and slant(not sure about the spelling) lines or conbination of two or three. Make a a T graph with one side that say straigh lines, and the other side with curve lines. Make flash card with curve and straigh lines. Clasify  four or five for him. After that,  take turns with him. Ones he do it correctly, is time to incorporate letters. The letter that have combination of straigt and curve lines can be put in a container or make a different graph. IMO children should never, never, never be retain in pre-k or kindergarten. If he/she is behind, first grade should be the grade to be retain. Hope this will help u and your son.