Honored Contributor

I don't think it had ANYTHING to do w/anyones last name. She didn't want them at her shower.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i am going to be a first time grandmother in july and cannot wait! the baby shower is being held mid june.

my daughter and i are planning the luncheon baby shower at a nearby restaurant along with some input from my pregnant daughter. we had a large list of people to invite.

the mother in law gave us her list, we had our list, and my daughter had her list. no one was excluded.

any ideas for a giveaway at the shower? we dont want to play the "shower games," but i would like to be able to give away a nice gift or two. 

I would think any gift card or small household item would be nice as a giveaway.  Cash is nice too!  I remember a party a long time ago that they had "gag" gifts to pick from.  She had wrapped a few nice boxes.  Then she wrapped a toilet plunger.  You could tell that's what it was.  No one wanted it of course.  The last person that drew that number got it, and it had a $100.00 bill attached underneath!  Then everyone wanted it😁!

Super Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

This is truly sad. Were the niece's last name the same as yours? If not, she may not have realized who they were.

She knows them all.  Has attended weddings, family picnics etc. with them. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Valued Contributor

@Coastalcarolina I am so sorry that someone treats you the way they do.  Next time I am asked to cook for everyone I would be busy with real friends.  I cannot believe your son allows this.  He needs to put on his big boy pants and stand up for you or nothing will change.  Again I am so very sorry.

Honored Contributor

I would have asked why they were excluded? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Baby shower uh oh

[ Edited ]

This is your DIL's shower, not yours. Let it go.  Don't be a party pooper.

Honored Contributor

Quick question. Is your DIL close to your nieces? Is your DS? I mean, they are his cousins. Unless the venue for the shower won't accommodate four more people and, considering the fact,  you're making all the food, I can't blame you for being upset. It's just thoughtless.  You sound like a good MIL...

~H~
Honored Contributor

Why are you allowing yourself to be used to do the food and your nieces disrespected?

Right now is when you establish what treatment you will accept from your son, his wife, and her mother. Do you wish to forever be disregarded, used, and your family insulted? 

Honored Contributor

Who knows?

I have noticed a lack of what most of us have described as what comes out as "traditional manners for our region" for decades.

I have attended events for many with handmade presents with no thank you card.

Honored Contributor

Going along to get along is nothing more than lacking the courage to make a stand.

In this situation, I would have told  wife's mother that excluding your nieces was unacceptable and either they be included or she can provide the food for her daughter's shower.

A case of, he/she who pays the piper calls the tune.