Respected Contributor

We had both a walker and a mesh playpen for our 34 year old son. We'd close off the living and dining rooms so he couldn't get near the basement stairs and he'd just roll along while I started dinner or some other task in the area. He was happy, we were happy - it worked for us. The key was in making sure DH or I were nearby when he was in the walker. The playpen doubled as a porta crib when we traveled. It fit nicely in the back of our station wagon and set up quickly where we were staying. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

My SIL's son should buy one for their daughter so his 90 year old grandma can stop running after their baby?

I remember being stuck in one of these a lot when I was a baby. What can I say there were already 5 of us.

1950s playpen. | Vintage baby gear, Baby boomers memories, Vintage baby

@Nightowlz That style is SO dangerous.   I believe that all of them have net now.

Valued Contributor

Re: Baby mobility

[ Edited ]

My son, who is 34 now loved his.  He would wheel around so much his little toes would be bleeding as he would get out of and socks or shoes.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

The new ones don't have wheels on them.  

My niece has one for her kids.

They DO make them with wheels!

I too thought the wheeled ones were extinct like asbestos and lead paint.  I only know this because our supervisor at work was off shortly before Thanksgiving when his son was injured from falling down the stairs in one.  

They have HW floors and before they could blink baby was at the top of the stairs and down he went.  Open floor plan split level so no door to the stairwell.  It was his first time in it they were taking photos and in a flash he took off running......

Everyone over 40 was like "that is why they were taken off the market decades ago"    Unbeknownst to us they are back.

Their son was ok only needed stitches, his wife really injured her ankle and lower back when she went after the baby in a panic and slipped on the HW stairs and she fell down as well.

They bought a baby gate for the top of the stairs.......

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

My SIL's son should buy one for their daughter so his 90 year old grandma can stop running after their baby?

I remember being stuck in one of these a lot when I was a baby. What can I say there were already 5 of us.

While I do not remember being in it, I have photographic proof of me spending some time in a playpen just like this.

My father hated the plastic netting ones.

Valued Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten   I always thought the controversy was that parents would put the baby in them and then not pay attention. I heard the horror stories of them falling down stairs or getting into something that could harm them.  My kids had them and my grandkids had them with no problems.  Don't know if they are still made.

My neighbors little girl fell down the stairs in her walker. She did not get seriously hurt, but she had injuries. The ER Docs called the police and Children's Services got involved. My neighbor was a young mom at 19. For a year she had Children's Services monitoring her and her husband and how their daughter was being cared for. No other injuries occurred and they proved themselves to be good parents. Oh how a few minutes can change the course of your life. I think the walkers nowadays do not have wheels on them. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

You remember being stuck in a playpen,when you were a baby?  Wow! 

Ive heard stories,of my very early childhood, but, I have no conscious memory, of that  long ago. I'm 48.