Respected Contributor

Re: BE AN EXAMPLE TO YOUR KIDS

As parents I feel we have always tried to be an example to our boys. For the most part it has turned out well. What hasn’t is not something I feel responsible for. I tried my best with what I was dealing with at the time. Looking back isn’t always easy. I don’t do that because what good would it do.

Trusted Contributor

Sheesh...my mother wouldn't tolerate any criticism and one time when she was bawling me out for my rotten personality and how I should be a certain way, I defiantly remarked "I'll follow the example I'm set". I thought she was going to deck me.

Later on Mom remarked on my "acid tongue" (and it's true, I do have one though I try to keep it under control), and I said, "guess where I got it from?" I was an adult by then and she sensed that if she laid hands on me, I'd call the cops so for once she kept her yap shut.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@FuzzyFaceI guess I was mostly talking about myself, I know my younger sister hated our father and would not visit him on his death bed. That being said, she is the sibling who is most like him, mean and vindictive. I didn't ever forget what our parents put us through, but I'm glad I could forgive them.

blackhole, you're a much better person than I am. For what both my parents did to us, I can never forget and I certainly can't forgive them. I know I'm supposed to but I think only God is able to forgive peoplr as evil and mean as my parents were. He can do the forgiving for me because I can't.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace@blackhole99. I know it’s easy to say, but from my experiences w/ toxic relationships, it takes a lot of energy to hold on to that much resentment. It’s very freeing to let it go.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@FuzzyFace@blackhole99. I know it’s easy to say, but from my experiences w/ toxic relationships, it takes a lot of energy to hold on to that much resentment. It’s very freeing to let it go.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You're right: it IS easy to say. What would really be freeing to me is to never have had it happen--and that's said from MY experience.

Honored Contributor

Amen to that!

in this age , kindness, homesty are true virtues.  They are are an example to everyone. All that aside, it should be the way we live.

Respected Contributor

I didn't swear in front of my Children.  Not that I didn't have to really hold back at times, but the 4 letter words were NOT an option at our house.  When my Daughter was about 15, oh help us all please, remember teen girls and all of their drama?   Well, she knew that the "S" word was out of the question, so she made up a word for when she was really mad or upset... "Shiznitz"   She is now 35 years old, and we are still using that made up word.  Of course, I knew what she meant when she said it, but what do you do???  Smiley Frustrated  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey