Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a toddler diva

Wise posts before me. We'll see how all this transpires 13 yrs from now. Bad behavior doesn't happen overnight.

Esteemed Contributor

Please you guys must have had perfect children. I never said she gets away with it or we laugh at her when she does it. She is not a brat. She is a very quiet little girl and very easy to watch. The point of the post was how kids even little toddlers say the craziest things sometimes. I think some of you need to lighten up.
Honored Contributor

Maybe we're looking @ this all wrong. Could be....the correction should be @ the adult level instead of w/ the child.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 ccassaday said: I never said how it was dealt with. We just think it's funny because at three she is so into what she is wearing.

This is pitiful in so many ways. And the OP is the one who used the word "diva". As long as the "adults" keep laughing, she'll keep being bratty.

Esteemed Contributor

Lol did you not read my thread. I said we don't laugh at her. She doesn't get away with things and isn't a brat at all. But for some reason when it comes to her clothes she knows what she likes. I probAbly didn't explain well in the original post but I did in later threads.
Trusted Contributor

Pick your battles. Let her chose her own clothes, and please don't tell her what she is wearing or anything about her is ugly. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/22/2014 Vamp said:

Pick your battles. Let her chose her own clothes, and please don't tell her what she is wearing or anything about her is ugly. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Most of the time that is what happens. We don't tell her that she is ugly. But for some reason when you say a piece of clothing is cute she doesn't like it. So sometimes we will say that shirt is ugly to see if she would like it but that doesn't work.
Valued Contributor

I feel so bad for posters that get attacked. I have been attacked like this and it is not fun. I am sure that the OP simply thought it is amazing to her and her sister that a three year old actually cares about what she is wearing.

Super Contributor

On 9/22/2014 Cookie06 said:

I feel so bad for posters that get attacked. I have been attacked like this and it is not fun. I am sure that the OP simply thought it is amazing to her and her sister that a three year old actually cares about what she is wearing.

I agree!

Honored Contributor

Oh for pete's sake, clothes fetishes are norm for toddlers, and kids of all ages. But toddlers are notorious!. Between 2 and 5 the child realizes they actually have a voice to yes or no to their parents. They form attachments to certain clothes, blankets, action figures, etc. They are difficult to get dressed at times. The posters who said, "you have to pick your battles" are entirely correct. I have 3 daughters and 8 grandkids, and believe me this clothes thing runs amok for a few years. I had one granddaughter who had to have her Barney shirt on for a year. We wound up putting it under her clothes on school days. She had to wear the red sparkly Dorothy shoes and only pants with a certain color. Then there was the grandson who wanted to wear footy pajamas for 7 years right after school until he dressed for school the next day.They were always those footy pajamas with the super hero decals. Or the granddaughter who hid banned clothes in her back pack and smuggled them to pre school. Then the grandson who will only wear tapered jeans, I have a 17 year old GS who has been wearing the same Vans slip on styles, in the SAME darn color for 4 years. He will wear clashing dirty clothes if you don't catch him, but low and behold he has to have those darn Vans. All of them when toddlers had clothes fits that would shame Lana Turner. Yes, they would push the line and get time outs and restrictions even. But they did it again and again, until they just grew out of it.

That is why we call some ages "the terrible twos and terrible threes" At that young age it isn't vanity, it is growing up. It is a form of self expression, that is usually gently corrected, or they just grow out of. If it isn't about the clothes, it is the hair. OMG. With girls, it all returns when they turn 12 and 13.

My one granddaughter hated dresses when she was little, it was an argument that went on for years. Later on we found out she hated dresses because they were uncomfortable for her, and it meant wearing tights, and she hated tights. She is 19 now wear dresses all the time, but she is still a comfort oriented girl. My daughter would break out in sweats when she had to get her in a dress. It was a battle all the way.

All my granddaughters turned out to be considerate, sweet, loving, intelligent women. They arevery beautiful, but humble women as well, which makes them very special.