Respected Contributor

Re: Any diaper rash magic tricks?

Cloth diapers

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sarahpanda   Oh, this brings back unhappy memories for me.  My now grown daughter was, unbeknownst to me, lactose intolerant.  Started as diaper rash, so I and pediatrician thought, then dermatologist referral determined it was a "psoriasis like" condition.

Had to monitor food ingredients, switch from cloth to disposable diapers, and have her nap and sleep overnight without a closed up disposable diaper--instead just one under her.  You can imagine how that went, right?

Back then used a very  thin layer of prescription hydrocortisone cream--had tried all the others mentioned by others here, Aveeno oatmeal baths in  tepid water, and Shepard's dry skin cream in a jar.  Don't think they make that anymore.

If it is a milk or other food allergy you must be hypervigilant about proceessed food.  Milk products--you will learn all the names--are hidden in so many things, including bread.

I'll be praying for you.  She did not fully attain clear skin until until in her mid twenties.  And, unlike me, she can now tolerate dairy much more than I can.

Please circle back and let us know what the doctor determines is the cause.

Praying for a happy outcome for your little niece.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Important PS:  She developed the psoriasis in her scalp, too.  Pediatrician recommended mineral oil but I opted for using peeanut or olive oil instead.  Did not like the idea of applying a petroleum based product.

Valued Contributor

Definitely don't use baby wipes, use a soft wash cloth instead. Air her bum as much as possible.
Honored Contributor

With my girls, their bad diaper rash was a combination problem from scented baby wipes and name brand disposable diapers.   

Their bottom was cleaned with a mild solution of ivory soap and water with diaper changes, air dried, and when the rash was at its worst, they wore a cloth diaper heavily sprinkled with plain cornstarch, or scorched flour (old time remedy that worked).  

I bought the Revco brand of disposable diapers for both girls, and stayed away from the big brand names.   

Respected Contributor

When my boys were little I used baking soda. Helped to keep the area dry.  Changed often. My Mom suggested it. It worked for my babies. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make sure the diaper brand or baby wipe brand is not something that is irritating her skin.
Change her often, as soon as she is wet, We had preemie triplets and learned so much from the special care nurses over the three months the babies were there.  Eucerin cream was all they used on the baby's skin. My youngest grand girl now is 16 months and has very sensitive skin. We use Eucerin on her also and it helps with her baby eczema as well. Also, use cornstarch baby powder (no talc) before applying the cream. It will absorb any moisture and does help. 

It really might be the baby wipes or diapers so I would try a different brand and see if it helps. If your granddaughter is being given any fruit juice at all, especially apple, that needs to be stopped ASAP....the sugar in the juice can break out the skin when she wets her diaper. 

Respected Contributor

Suggest mom take the diaper off and let the sun on that bum.  Works wonders and you only half to do it for 5 minutes once a day.  Then she can use the diaper cream of her choice.  Best of luck.

Super Contributor

A&D ointment was a lifesaver for my now 36-year-old daughter. I still use it for heat rash, etc. Mine, not hers!
Frequent Contributor

My son had a protein intolerance as a baby and the most horrible diaper rash to the point of being raw.  A gastroenterologist suggested painting his bottom with liquid mylanta and letting it dry.  It neutralized the acid on his skin and worked!  I even set up a tiny fan to help dry it quicker...he's 29 now but the memories remain!

Valued Contributor

Disposable diapers have a lot of chemicals in them. Different brands have different things in them. Some parents need to save money and don't change them often and the ammonia can build up due to the gelling factor in the diaper. They hold a lot of urine in other words. Baby may need to be changed with every pee. Is baby in daycare? Are they maybe not changing her often enough? Some of the cheaper or generic brands may have less chemicals or conversely, worse chemicals. Target sells a more natural type of disposable. Washing cloth diapers with a double rinse using vinegar in the rinse could help. Soaking them in a water filled diaper pail, old style, after changing the baby. Besides a food allergy - and yes food allergies did give some of my kids diaper rash - other culprits could be the soap mom is using to wash baby down there in the bath, the chemicals in the wipes, etc. All mentioned by others. Lastly, has the baby been on antibiotics lately? If yes, get her on a good child's probiotic to reculture her intestines. These are all things that worked for my skin sensitive kids. I had one who simply didn't tolerate disposable diapers back in the day.