Respected Contributor

Any diaper rash magic tricks?

My nine month old niece has the most awful diaper rash.  It's the second one within a couple of weeks. 'Mom' has used EndIt topical ointment, as suggested by the peditrician to no avail. Food / milk allergies are starting to be considered but back to my question...Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to help this poor little baby girl ? Thanks in advance.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any diaper rash magic tricks?

@sarahpanda    Try A & D Ointment. 

Trusted Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@sarahpanda    Try A & D Ointment. 

@panda1234 @sarahpanda    This product worked wonders for my grandkids.  Highly recommend.  

Honored Contributor

desitin or other zinc based and lots of it, 

change often 

you need a barrier of cream or ointment on the skin

Valued Contributor

This is going to sound very strange, but I grew up on a farm so it can natural to me. I used stuff on my boys when they were babies that is meant for cow utters called Bag Balm. It comes in a green tin and I could usually find it at walmart. 

It is really greasy so a little goes a long way. It was the magic cure for diaper rash especially while they are teething.

Respected Contributor

@Mombo1  And it's usually gone within 24 hours. Good stuff.

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda ~ Balmex!  Works fast, and it’s more emollient than Desitin, and not as pasty.  I still use it after 38 years (when my son was a baby).  Wonderful ointment, and I highly recommend.

Valued Contributor

My son had awful diaper rash when he was a baby. Turned out he had a bad reaction to several formulas we tried. His pediatrician recommended putting a thick towel under him when changing and using a wet washcloth to basically “rinse” the bottom off instead of using wipes and also placing him on his tummy in the sun for just 5 minutes a couple times a day. Something to do with the vit D from the sun helping to heal it. That definitely helped until we found a formula he could tolerate.
Respected Contributor

Desitin

New Contributor

Pinxav (Pronounced "Pink-Salve"), it's been around since 1927.  Works wonders.  Hope it helps!