Honored Contributor

Re: All Adults at Christmas--Ideas

I think if you are weary of buying for each other, because everyone has what they need, and the gifts have become more of an obligation than something really treasured, I like the idea of adopting a family like Miami said, and it is all the more rewarding if it is someone you know (like you mentioned).

The other thing that would be fun, would be to draw names, and for everyone to have to give a gift of something they already own (or some service they can give, like if someone is a chef, a meal made at your house, or if someone is a mechanic, a free oil change or such). So you would give something you know the recipient loves of yours, say grandma's tea set to your niece if you got her name, or the family Bible to your brother if you drew his name. It is a great time to pass down family heirlooms, or that pretty dish set your sister-in-law has always admired. Those with no "thing" to give to the person they drew could give a "service" to that person.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Shogirl said:

We play a game where everyone buys a $25 gift and wraps it. Then we all draw numbers and the person with number 1 starts by picking a gift and unwrapping it. Then #2 can draw a gift or take the one away from #1, and so it goes. You should put a limit on the number of times a gift can be taken (we do 3 times); otherwise, the game lasts forever. My dad calls it the Dirty Santa game, but I don't like that name. Maybe someone else here has a different name for it and can post it!

We do this too! it's so fun. Maybe Silly Santa or Sneaky Santa is better.

Esteemed Contributor

I think most people enjoy unwrapping a gift regardless of age. Unless it's financially unfeasible, I don't think exchanging gifts should cease in a family just because there are no children. We aren't together for every Christmas, but my adult siblings and I make the holiday gathering a party. We exchange gifts (including toys which none of us seem to be able to outgrow even in our 60s). Then there's dancing to rocking Christmas music, singing, depending on the day of the week hours of football on TV, and of course plenty of food.

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 widefeet said:

I love all of these ideas! Thank you so much. And, actually, Miami Spices, I have a former student who is a single mom of four who works in restaurant management (a very hard worker) who is struggling with her finances right now. Maybe we could adopt her kids for some gifts!

We adopted a family last year; .....we all enjoyed providing a real Christmas for them.
Regular Contributor

We draw names but it is no secret. We establish a dollar maximum and require it be spent in a charitable thrift store. You will be amazed what you can find! It is a win, win all the way around.
Honored Contributor

I don't know. Since as you note, it sounds to be a small group, I guess I'd be inclined to stick with the original concept of everyone who wants to exchanging gifts. I also certainly don't think a college freshman is too old to expect gifts from close family.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Mary Bailey said:
On 11/11/2014 Shogirl said:

We play a game where everyone buys a $25 gift and wraps it. Then we all draw numbers and the person with number 1 starts by picking a gift and unwrapping it. Then #2 can draw a gift or take the one away from #1, and so it goes. You should put a limit on the number of times a gift can be taken (we do 3 times); otherwise, the game lasts forever. My dad calls it the Dirty Santa game, but I don't like that name. Maybe someone else here has a different name for it and can post it!

We do this too! it's so fun. Maybe Silly Santa or Sneaky Santa is better.

Here it is called a Yankee Swap -- we live in MA

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 widefeet said:

I love all of these ideas! Thank you so much. And, actually, Miami Spices, I have a former student who is a single mom of four who works in restaurant management (a very hard worker) who is struggling with her finances right now. Maybe we could adopt her kids for some gifts!

That is the true spirit of Christmas. Bless you for thinking of them. Maybe you could discuss the plan with her and find out some things the kids would like. I bet you'd make her year.

Honored Contributor

OP, what do you think about adopting the family?