Respected Contributor

I am 74 and have three sons---45, 50 and 54. Close to the first two. I do not see the 54 year old. It has been twenty years and I do not see it changing. I talk to my DIL. We have started going to lunch together. Love her. She is lonely. He does not see his brothers. We are all willing to try to work this out. He won't. His work seems to be his life. Sad so sad.

Honored Contributor

@turtlelgk wrote:

I am 74 and have three sons---45, 50 and 54. Close to the first two. I do not see the 54 year old. It has been twenty years and I do not see it changing. I talk to my DIL. We have started going to lunch together. Love her. She is lonely. He does not see his brothers. We are all willing to try to work this out. He won't. His work seems to be his life. Sad so sad.

@Catiele

I have pretty much the same issue with my oldest daughter.  I had four girls; my youngest will be 50 in November.  My second oldest maintains a relationship with my oldest, but she is the only one. 

Yes, it is the saddest part of my life because I still love her, she is my first born. Fortunately, her daughter, my granddaughter, and I have a relationship.  I am so grateful for that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My husband and I are older parents, our son is 32 now, and he does ask our opinion on the serious stuff. He is young, not married and has no children, but does have a serious relationship. My son and his girlfriend like to travel and think nothing of leaving us alone on big holidays to fend for ourselves. I'm not happy about this, but I don't want them to spend time with us if they would rather be somewhere else. We see my son alot during the week and he's always there for us in an emergency.

Regular Contributor

My parents are in their 80s. I wish I lived closer to them (2,500 miles away). We speak frequently on the phone. I fill them in on what's going on in my family and they fill me in on what's going on in theirs. We pretty much just listen to each other's cares & woes, but we do interject from time to time with our opinions whether or not any advice is asked for. It's a great relationship because both sides know that if the other side ever needs anything, they can count 100% on the support of the rest of us. I'm fortunate to have two wonderful, caring and intelligent parents. I hope I'm half as good of a daughter as they are as parents.

Trusted Contributor

My mom is 102.  I am 72.  My daughter is 42, and my granddaughter is 2.  God has given us one more Christmas together, for which I am eternally grateful.

Merry CHRISTmas everyone!

Respected Contributor

I am not an aging mom but I am a child of an aging mother. My mother is 90 – but she thinks she's about 45! We talk on the phone at least once a day and do a lot of laughing and simply enjoy each other. A few years ago, I got her to move  closer to us after living across the country from her for so long. I just saw her today on Christmas and we just got home. She knows most of what goes on in my life  except intimate details. The only time I ever kept anything big from her was when I had a suspicious lump discovered in a mammogram and I had to have a lumpectomy in the hospital. She was already living nearby but I kept it from her somehow. I did not tell her until I got the results back which showed that the tissue was benign.  There isn't anything important that I don't tell her. But a lot of that is a credit to her and doesn't reflect on me at all. She's been her children's best cheerleader, also good at drawing boundaries, and she made us leave the nest by saying she would only pay for college if we went away, because "a big part of the college experience involves learning to live away from home," she said. I only realized years later that she cried a lot and was terribly depressed when I went to college!

She has never been a helicopter parent. And yet she's always been involved and interested and made time for her children. She's just very open and uncomplicated in her way. I don't know how to explain that. She doesn't play mental games or emotional games. She's an adult. So it's easy to interact with her and just be myself. I have friends who have complicated relationships with their mothers because their mothers  try to intrude in their lives or try to make the children feel guilty for things. Those friends, some whom I have known since junior high, seem to be the ones who were keeping things from their mothers. Because Mother has never intruded or prodded or tried to lasso me with guilt, she has never pushed me away. So I just naturally I'm drawn TO her. She's one of the most important people in my life. She and my husband are my best friends. I am 66 and so very very lucky to have her. She still lives in her own home and drives her car. (An auto racing fan, she was stopped for speeding in her convertible last summer, after which she bought a T-shirt that reads, "I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.") She makes me laugh, but I worry about her constantly at this age. I am one lucky daughter, that's for sure.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE Your Mom sounds so awesome. You are one lucky daughter.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@libbyannE Your Mom sounds so awesome. You are one lucky daughter.

@Greeneyedlady21

Oh, thank you. She is the best!  I thank God all the time that I was born to her. How did I get so lucky? Thank you for saying so. 

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  Perhaps they keep things from you because of a history of how you have reacted to things in the past.

My stepchildren are in their early 50's and live overseas in England. Their children are all young adults now. They keep in touch with me without being asked and I appreciate that, but they have a "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies" relationship with me. However, they don't keep in touch with their biological mother at all (she too lives in England) so I am at least one step ahead of her. Ever since their father died and I had to give them up to their mother, I have  stressed to them that I will always be here for them and they will have a safe place to land as long as I'm alive - same as my own Mother did for me. To give credit where credit is due - their Mother always allowed them to keep in touch with me after they went to her. Called on holidays and sent cards and letters, always sent me their school reports etc. so it was already a habit by the time they were adults. 

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree  Sounds like a sibling tiff.  Let it play out.  After all, it never could be as bad as that lawsuit, I hope.