Respected Contributor

A book to share with children

I wasn't sure whether I should post this here or under books, but I wanted moms to see it! Years ago while my dd attended a program at our local library I found the most wonderful book! It's called The Father Christmas Letters by Tolkien. It's full of wonderful illustrations and is a collection of "letters" written by the author to his son as if he'd visited the North Pole in person! It's a marvelous book and I was sorry I hadn't found it sooner, in time to share it with my children while they were "believers"!  

I thought this this year I'd write to my grand a letter from the big guy, maybe using calligraphy and other fancy ideas. If anyone has any helpful ideas on how to do it up right, please let me know! She's 7 and is the perfect age! Thanks!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Re: A book to share with children

@Imadickens Check out north pole santa letters. Just goggle that and it should come up for you.

Trusted Contributor

@Imadickens, thank you for suggesting this book, it sounds wonderful.  I have already requested it from the local library and checked on-line for sites to purchase it.  Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@Imadickens, thank you for suggesting this book, it sounds wonderful.  I have already requested it from the local library and checked on-line for sites to purchase it.  Thanks again!

I hope you like it as much as I do! Please let me know!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for letting us know about the book. I just ordered it from Amazon for my 7 year old grand daughter. 

Respected Contributor

Jewelwisher  - This is more about the letter than the book... 

When my son was young and still believed I wrote up a letter from Santa to him and then brought it to the post office where it could be post marked and mailed back to our address. OMG, I remember it like it was just yesterday.... my son got the mail everyday back then and saw his letter in the pile, he immediately went running upstairs to his own room to read it, he came downstairs with the biggest grin ever and was so excited that Santa had wrote him. You know, he kept that letter to this day. There has been quite a few Christmas's since then and occasionally he will say " Mom - do you remember when you sent me that letter?........". Children do remember the little things, the special things.

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

One of my favorite childrens books is Pete the Cat and his magic sunglasses as my sister told me that story one day when I was sad..........Pete the Cat is really cool and she teaches 3-4 year olds but you can learn a lot from Pete the Cat.