Respected Contributor

I had not been able to hug my 5 yo grandson since last March due to Covid. I was only able to see him on FaceTime when he would have his mom call me everyday. So this past weekend was my daughter and son-in-laws 6 yr wedding anniversary and since I had finished my PT post knee replacement and had quarantined since 1/12 they asked if he could spend the weekend with me and of course I said yes because my daughter works from home and his dad has a job that requires he wears a mask, gloves and social distances.  Boy did that wear me out !  He didn't sit still unless he was eating or sleeping. He didn't stop talking unless he was sleeping. He kept telling me how glad he was to be back at my home, hugged me several times, read me books, danced to the Jack Hartman childrens videos on neflix, watched nickelodeon , danced and talked some more.  I really enjoyed him through all of that. His mom picked him up at 5:30 pm Monday evening, I took a shower and was in bed by 6 !

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A WEEKEND WITH MY GRANDSON

@Goodie2shoes   Sounds like you had some much needed special time with your grandson.Reading your post made me smile. I'm so glad you were able to make those memories.Sounds like your grandson adores you!!

Esteemed Contributor

With all these lock downs and family members having to isolate them selves from one another , a Grandparent  has to make such a difficult decision as to whether to  isolate from  family or limit time with family . Some Grandparents do not have a choice if they are the only child care provider for their Grandchildren .  Personally, I made the decision that I would rather have my Grandchild have some memories of  fun times with Grandma

. I provide needed child care of my Grandchild so my daugter can  maintain employment .

I have fond memories of my Grandparents and I want the same for my Grandchild.

Tough decisions in tough times.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  I envy your time with your grandson. We have seen our granddaughters for outdoor visits when the weather was warm with masks...no hugs/kisses. We've had Facetime, texting and phone calls, but defintiely not the same as their overnight visits, dinners out and movies on Sat. mornings. I miss that time terribly. 

Both sets of grandparents lived with us when I was growing up, at diferent times. I so enjoyed their cooking, stories of the old days and trying to understand their broken English. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, DH and I are in the same situation you are in.  Our two grandchildren are the joys of our old age, but our contacts have been like yours since last March.  My little GD, age 8, recently asked “Mimi, do you still have our room at your house?”  Of course we do, their room, decorated in the theme of “Oh, The Places You’ll Go.”  

We had many overnights, day trips, staying with us while they went to a local day camp in the summer, etc.  We never went on the duck boats in Boston and other things.  We are up in age, our GS turned 13, and time is going fast.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes - how lucky for you to be able to spend time with your grandson. I haven't seen my granddaughters since Christmas 2019. They live in NY so timing was never right for them or us traveling from SC.

I'm hoping maybe by summer we can take a trip up to see them or maybe they can come here. They love coming to Mimi's beach, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Shanus, DH and I are in the same situation you are in.  Our two grandchildren are the joys of our old age, but our contacts have been like yours since last March.  My little GD, age 8, recently asked “Mimi, do you still have our room at your house?”  Of course we do, their room, decorated in the theme of “Oh, The Places You’ll Go.”  

We had many overnights, day trips, staying with us while they went to a local day camp in the summer, etc.  We never went on the duck boats in Boston and other things.  We are up in age, our GS turned 13, and time is going fast.  

@PamfromCT   I feel for you. My DS brought the Girls over on Sat. They stood outside with masks in 30 degree winds w/masks until I suggested they come in and sit in the kitchen and we'd sit in the family room....all one room...we could be distanced by more than 20 feet, but still see each other and visit. He agreed and we enjoyed a few hours together. No hugs, kisses or touching. It killed me!!! I've missed almost a year of their lives. This stinks for sure, but we're protecting each other. God forbid they got sick and I felt responsible. That would be impossible to live with.

So, zoom, facetime, etc is most of our time together. Now that the 12 yr. old has a cell phone, I can text with her and keep in touch daily during her "school" breaks.

I'm so worried how they will be affected by this isolation from school, friends, social activities....I don't want them to interact until 100% safe, but still concerned about their being removed from their "normal". I know as Grandparents, you feel the same.

BTW, they lost their grandma (DIL's mother) they called Mimi, too and my Mom, their great- grandmother died only 6 wks. before that (all 18 months ago) and not long after the pandemic separated US. That leaves me as their only  grandma...Mom Mom...and here I am not able to see them. Stinks, really sad. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

@PamfromCT   I feel for you. My DS brought the Girls over on Sat. They stood outside with masks in 30 degree winds w/masks until I suggested they come in and sit in the kitchen and we'd sit in the family room....all one room...we could be distanced by more than 20 feet, but still see each other and visit. He agreed and we enjoyed a few hours together. No hugs, kisses or touching. It killed me!!! I've missed almost a year of their lives. This stinks for sure, but we're protecting each other. God forbid they got sick and I felt responsible. That would be impossible to live with.

So, zoom, facetime, etc is most of our time together. Now that the 12 yr. old has a cell phone, I can text with her and keep in touch daily during her "school" breaks.

I'm so worried how they will be affected by this isolation from school, friends, social activities....I don't want them to interact until 100% safe, but still concerned about their being removed from their "normal". I know as Grandparents, you feel the same.

BTW, they lost their grandma (DIL's mother) they called Mimi, too and my Mom, their great- grandmother died only 6 wks. before that (all 18 months ago) and not long after the pandemic separated US. That leaves me as their only  grandma...Mom Mom...and here I am not able to see them. Stinks, really sad. 

@Shanus Its so sad to hear how you spent time with your family.  They are your family enjoy them.  Please stop being afraid.  I have refused to wear a mask into my MIL home even though she is 80.  My kids have visited her and my boys have done work for her.  If we didn't see her she would have been all alone for the past year and that is just toooo sad.  I scheduled her vaccine appoint for her which she got last week.

You comment about not interacting until things are 100% safe is also hard to see.  As a parent I do let me kids see a group of friends. Life will never be 100% safe and after seeing first hand the mental health impact this has put on my High Schooler, I refuse to keep everyone inside and locked up.  The term "Safe" is IMO very over used and everyone's definition of safety is different.

In all honesty most people have not stopped visiting and seeing family members.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4   I appreciate your concern, but each family needs to make their own decisions about what they feel is safe. I was supposed to have my 2nd vaccine tomorrow...ice storm coming tonite and the center giving injections has already announced it will be closed.

I'm sure since DH has his 2 vaccines and when I get my 2nd, we may reevaluate if and how we feel OK seeing the family. In the meanwhile, we're content to stay with the boundaries we all agreed on. Thanks again for thinking about me.