Trusted Contributor

A Really Cute Idea for a Preschooler or a Kindergartener

I am reading the Southern Sewing Circle series by Elizabeth Lynn Casey.  

I just finished "Deadly Notions" and at the end of the book she has included ideas and directions on how to make "play food" from felt and a few other notions.  You do not have to be a super sewer to make these and they sound really cute.  I was a preschool teacher at one time and know how expensive some of these toys are and this would be a really inexpensive way to add to the kitchen area.

As an example, to make peanut butter and jelly, you would cut two pieces of tan felt in a matching blob shape. Cut two pieces of purple felt in matching blod shapes.  (Size will be determined by how large you make the bread slices.)  Insert a thin piece of batting slightly smaller than the felt and sew the matching colored pieces together.  The batting gives the "food" some dimension and adds interest. 

She gives directions for bread, cheese, meat, rippled potato chips, chip bag, and chocolate chunk cookies.  I'm thinking you could do some light green for lettuce, some red for tomatoes, etc.

I posted this in Community Chat and only got one response, so thought I would come here and maybe give an idea to some of you with young children.  Raven-blackbird did respond and she suggested for those who do not sew, maybe using the hem fuser powder or Wonder Under, etc.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Really Cute Idea for a Preschooler or a Kindergartener

I made little 'tea bags' from fabric and sring for my granddaughters tea set....kids love this stuff...