Occasional Contributor

13yr grandaughter and neighbor boy 15 yr exchanging phone numbers. Ok or not ???

My granddaughter who is 13 visits on weekends (not every one). She and our neighbor's son have been buddies for the last 6 years. This past weekend they exchanged phone numbers. My daughter says they are constantly texting back and forth. Should we limit this or will the novelty wear off? Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. My daughter does check her phone messages. Thanks so much!!

Honored Contributor

Re: 13yr grandaughter and neighbor boy 15 yr exchanging phone numbers. Ok or not ???

Considering they have been buddies for 6 years, I think it would be wrong to say they cannot exchange phone numbers. How are they texting without having each other's phone number? Her parents should monitor her texting activity, and advise you about their interactions (time spent together) when she is at your home. My best to you and your grandchild.
Honored Contributor

Re: 13yr grandaughter and neighbor boy 15 yr exchanging phone numbers. Ok or not ???

I don't think there is any problem with them exchanging phone numbers. I'm sure there's a lot more going on at school that you or her parents are unaware of.

Esteemed Contributor

At least you know the boy. She is just being a teenager and I am sure both you and her mother are keeping an eye on her.

Honored Contributor

It is sweet they exchanged digits.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think exchanging numbers is a problem. She is to young to go on a date or anything. Talking on the phone is just innocent. At that age I wouldn't even allow a group date or go anywhere without parental supervision with the boy.
Super Contributor

If her mother is monitoring texts, that's probably enough. They are just staying in contact. Just watch their time together at your house.

Honored Contributor

It's fine, as long that an adult is in the house, and the tweens aren't left alone in a room, etc. at your house or at your neighbor's house. Everyone texts, it seems. Probably the elementary school kids, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I don't see a problem.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Regular Contributor

I would monitor their texts....but I would monitor all of my 13 or 15 year olds' texts.

A 15 year old boy is not a tween..he is a teenager who can get a permit and drive....and is in high school...and I'd be very cautious, if I were you, and her parents.