Regular Contributor

trench coat fit on larger chest sizes

Is there anyone who ordered the long trench , who has a larger chest size? Generally my first reaction is just not to even look at double breasted jackets/coats.

But this trench really has me reconsidering.

Honored Contributor

Re: trench coat fit on larger chest sizes

@clarika.  Are you wondering if it will fit or how it will look?  You can see all the actual garment measurements for fit purposes by clicking where it so indicates at the end of the text describing the garment.  I personally think double breasted styles are not flattering on larger figure types.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@clarika, I am large busted, but my Trench has not arrived yet.  It may arrive today. I will post here for you minutes after it arrives, but there is no way to tell you when that will be.  UPS comes by any time between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624I agree totally with your double-breasted feeling.  I own not one piece even though I tend to keep what I buy forever and ever.  I live alone and spend plenty of hours in what I call "my own thrift shop finds" that I have in my own closets.  I don't even want double-breasted when no one is looking!

I'm not only busty, but I'm also short and hippy.  I've not only donated everything I ever bought double breasted, I also donated or tossed every robe that wrapped and tied at the waist -  another bad fashion on my body.

Esteemed Contributor

I passed on the longer version but I do own the olive and black in the original Linea trench.  I am busty and have narrow hips.   I couldn't be more pleased with the fit I ordered the 18 and it is roomy and the buttons lay flat no gaps and both colors look amazing on if my hubby doesn't like something on me it goes back but he loved how it looked on me as well; so as long as you order the correct size (check the click here measurements) and you are comfortable you should be fine.  I was not a double breasted wearer either but you don't know until you try.

Also it's hard to determine because having a "larger chest" includes such a wide range of size and cups which is also important.

Please post when you receive it.

Trusted Contributor

@clarika wrote:

Is there anyone who ordered the long trench , who has a larger chest size? Generally my first reaction is just not to even look at double breasted jackets/coats.

But this trench really has me reconsidering.

@clarika  My bust, the bain of my fashion existence!  I ordered a 14 in the long trench just to accommodate my bust.  The nipping at the waist due to Louis' design, is very figure flattering.  I would love a bit more room in the bust, but going up another size makes the shoulders way too big. Thus, as my grandmother used to say, I look like I was picked before I was ripe! I won't be able to layer anything bulky underneath but I never intended to.  It is such a remarkable piece I would do whatever I had to be able to wear this trench!  HTH

Respected Contributor

I'm a 36D and wear a S or 8 in Linea. I'm 5'2'' 135 lbs.

I have an 8 in the shorter version; I can't layer so I got a 10P in the longer. It's a much better fit. I wear double breasted coats as in peacoats. 

However I do not belt coats. I wear the belt tied behind. Unbelted the fit is very flattering because it has a long and lean look. I can button it easily.

If you're more specific about your size maybe someone close to it can answer.

I hate to be an enabler but this is one of the best items I've gotten on the Q and I wear mostly Linea.

Respected Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

I'm a 36D and wear a S or 8 in Linea. I'm 5'2'' 135 lbs.

I have an 8 in the shorter version; I can't layer so I got a 10P in the longer. It's a much better fit. I wear double breasted coats as in peacoats. 

However I do not belt coats. I wear the belt tied behind. Unbelted the fit is very flattering because it has a long and lean look. I can button it easily.

If you're more specific about your size maybe someone close to it can answer.

I hate to be an enabler but this is one of the best items I've gotten on the Q and I wear mostly Linea.

I do not belt coats either, for the same reason as you stated, ". . . unbelted, the fit is very flattering, because it has a long and lean look."  

Valued Contributor

@clarika, my trench coat arrived. To answer your question, at this time I am a 40 DDD, and a size 18.  It's hard to be objective because I'm not used to seeing myself with the weight gain I am now carrying.  I think I look fatter, but I didn't like double breasted blazers or coats when sizes 14 or 16 either because I am short too (5'3").  

I don't think the bust size is the issue, but rather actually below the chest on down.  The double breasted style makes me look wider.  Belting the coat definitely adds girth.  Worn open is more flattering, but impractical.  This coat is wide on the bottom half; maybe that gives the appearance of wider size.

With early Linea double breasted jackets, I converted them to a single line of buttons.  This coat is too wide to do that.  I actually got both a size 16 and an 18.  The 16 would allow me to convert to single line but the sleeves are too tight for me.  Actually the sleeves are tight on the 18 too, but not  too awful. I definitely could not wear a heavy sweater or a blazer under even the size 18.  I could not take a larger size because the bottom half already is quite full.

Since this coat is sold out, I don't know if I'm helping anyone.  If I had to make a decision this very minute, I would say I am returning both coats.  I wish I could keep the 16,  but definitely could not because of the tight upper sleeves.

It may not be cut for me, but this coat is utterly amazing. Unbelievable fine detail and terrific fabric for a very low price.  The collar, epaulettes and shoulders are super high end looking.  Truly classy.  I was surprised at how heavy the coat is.

Respected Contributor

I do not belt coats either, that ended after I left size 5 back in the 70's.....

The new trench is very slimming on me, sz 18, and I wear it buttoned with ease, and belt tied behind.