Regular Contributor

Re: question for LDO ladies with grey hair- does caramel work?

oh wow- thanks everyone for answering so quickly! Guess I needed confirmation of what my gut was telling me, that my caramel days are behind me (at least for tops). CGEE hit it on the head- old habits were calling to me. I am looking forward to the plum esp. and the grey I ordered. 

the LDO group of ladies is the best! Rose

Respected Contributor

@qvcrose 

In the videos Louis posted on FB and his website, he discussed this issue and how it can be remedied by going to someone who is a professional at doing makeup.

Regular Contributor

@alliswell  There's almost always a way to make a color work if you really want to. Sometimes Louis' designs and colors are just impossible to resist.

Honored Contributor

@CGee wrote:

@alliswell  There's almost always a way to make a color work if you really want to. Sometimes Louis' designs and colors are just impossible to resist.

I'm having the same situation with the bisque! I'm warm complected with what used to be dark blonde hair- and is now lighter blonde and hazel eyes. Caramel is one of my best colors, but oh that bisque! It's beautiful, but I'm just not sure it would look good on me. If someone with my coloring gets it and loves it, I'll regret not getting it. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@qvcrose  Your story is mine. Just have a question about eyebrows, did you change the color? I have the white hair now with dark brown eyebrows and want to tone them down.

Respected Contributor

@qvcrose
I don’t have grey hair but am going to chime in because I have similar issues of wanting colors that maybe aren’t the best for me. Based on the coloring you say you have, I’d avoid the caramel. While sometimes we can make colors work for us, why not get another color that works without having to try too hard? I think the plum and grey will look fabulous on you!
Respected Contributor

My hair is light brown going to pewter/grey with silvery highlights around face.  Coloring is very fair clear skin, blue/green eyes.

I used to wear caramel but it always looked better with a white/ivory blouse worn with it or under whatever to be more flattering to my complexion.  And I always wear makeup, light and subtle, but adjusted to what I need for each day/clothing/mood.

Now that I'm older and have less rosiness in my cheeks and my hair is greying, I do wear a bright rose lipstick and that helps a lot, along with my other makeup.  I can indeed wear caramel as in a jacket or sweater, again looks best w/black or ivory. 

I almost ordered the big deal cardi in caramel but am holding out for the bisque when I check the tank that should arrive any week now and see how that color works.  Then I may get that gorgeous jacket or sweater, not both, sigh. 

If you can wear a clear true red lipstick then caramel with fair skin and grey/silver/white hair looks amazing.

Of course this is all a moot point with a mask on!!!!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

True camel is a color we grew up hearing it was the most versatile neutral, yet it frequently washed out complections and turned ladies dark under the eyes and around the mouth.

THIS is exactly right! I'm a "Winter" and yet I had a beautiful camel suit 35 years ago (before we had Colors done) and every single time I wore it people asked me "Are you tired?" I finally figured it out and stopped wearing it. I also had a camel Chesterfield coat as a kid and when I see pictures of myself in it, again, I look quite tired and sickly! The right colors are so important.

I also let my hair go grey (it's not white, it's more silver) during this pandemic so it's going to be interesting to see how I look in all my favorite colors. My hair stylist was no at all cooperating with my going grey so I had it all cut off in a Pixie and now letting it grow back out. So I'm a "look" in progress.  I must say I love the freedom of the short hair and not being locked into dye jobs every 3 to 4 weeks! That's more money for Linea!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Maxine49 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

True camel is a color we grew up hearing it was the most versatile neutral, yet it frequently washed out complections and turned ladies dark under the eyes and around the mouth.

THIS is exactly right! I'm a "Winter" and yet I had a beautiful camel suit 35 years ago (before we had Colors done) and every single time I wore it people asked me "Are you tired?" I finally figured it out and stopped wearing it. I also had a camel Chesterfield coat as a kid and when I see pictures of myself in it, again, I look quite tired and sickly! The right colors are so important.

I also let my hair go grey (it's not white, it's more silver) during this pandemic so it's going to be interesting to see how I look in all my favorite colors. My hair stylist was no at all cooperating with my going grey so I had it all cut off in a Pixie and now letting it grow back out. So I'm a "look" in progress.  I must say I love the freedom of the short hair and not being locked into dye jobs every 3 to 4 weeks! That's more money for Linea!

@Maxine49  We "winters" should have formed a support group during the pandemic!

I so wish I had had your courage to go grey when I had 2 inches of hair growth! I thought about it but just couldn't pull the trigger. Now I wish I had. Should this second wave appear, which I'm sure it will, you can cheer me on!

Keep us updated on your look in progress.

Honored Contributor

Only my temples are grey, for now. I made the decision not to dye my hair. I've an 85 year old aunt who has her hair dyed. It doesn't look right, IMO. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼