Valued Contributor

What a delightful post.  I felt like I was sitting at a sidewalk cafe nibbling on a heavenly croissant and sipping a steaming hot chocolate and taking it all in.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

What fun! I visited a friend who lived in Florence, Italy years ago. She looked at my tourist uniform. bermuda shorts and t's. Said I shouldn't go out in public dressed like that and took me to inexpensive shops where I bought four dresses.

What kind of jewelry were they wearing?

Trusted Contributor

Since a few of you asked, the main thing I noticed about the makeup on the French women I saw was the bright lipstick.  I know it's cliche that all a French woman needs is a pair of great fitting jeans and a red lipstick, but from what I saw it seems to ring true. Think beautiful, deep Chanel Red. Not only bright red, but bright pink and some deep plum as well.  Let's just say the lipstick was bold. On all women, young and older alike. (Sorry, no Doris Dalton Nudes there!) I did not notice a lot of blush, eyeshadow, highlighter or 'contouring', but there was always mascara and black liquid liner.  The younger the woman, the bolder the liquid liner!  

As I said, hair was either long or short, didn't see much shoulder length hair.  Although lots more short, short hair than here.  

Jewelry was simple and minimalist.  Scarves appeared to be their jewelry.  I didn't notice any bold dangly earrings or overly designed rings.

I took mostly Linea and Talbots with me - Talbot's tshirts and Linea whisper-knit along with jeans and Earth Origins walking shoes, with the Linea navy double breasted pea-coat/trench over all.  The weather was cool (which, come to think of it might have accounted for seeing so much panty hose!), so the scarves I brought came in handy.

Oh, and its true what they say about French women and their trench coats - they were ubiquitous.  Funny, as much as I try to NOT look like a tourist, I'm certain I probably did.

We had a ball just sitting in the Cafe de Flore sipping hot chocolate watching the folks walk by. I could tell the tourists a mile away. The most noticeable were the Russian tourists - they were dressed to the nines!  There were lots of tourist groups from Asia, nearly all dressed in pretty dresses with pristine white sneakers and socks, it was so cute. The crowds were thick - more than I expected for late April - and there was a clear police/army presence everywhere - even in the countryside.  Teams of three/four heavily armed officers walking around Paris and the small towns we visited in Normandy and the Loire.  It made us feel safer, but it was sad for me, as I had seen Paris about 18 years ago before any of that was necessary.

It was a lovely trip and I hope it doesn't take me 18 years to get back again!  

Honored Contributor

Re: What I saw in Paris...

[ Edited ]

Thank you again, Sammijo, for another charming post.  I read every word with keen interest and enjoyed your account.

Especially effective was your description of the female Asian visitors -- brought a smile to my face.  

I hope that it won't be another 18 years for you to return.  My heavens, you beat me.  I haven't been in Paris since 1973.  For family reasons, nearly every trip I had to Europe (about a dozen) involved visiting Greece.  Not an unhappy situation, of course, but it has limited my natural desires somewhat.

Now, too, the same thing is happening to me again.  This time I am having to go West within the U.S. for personal reasons when I'd selfishly prefer to go East to Europe.  But life is what it is, and we do what our heart dictates.   I tend to follow my heart and go to see domestic family rather than others abroad.  And besides, there is nothing but pesky business these days with those in Greece.  Not terribly pleasant.

ETA: I do hope to have another trip to Europe in the not-too-distant future, and I aim to see Paris again.  It would be fun to observe those who walk by.  Also wish to return to Rome, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.  I did harbor a desire to visit the Galapagos Islands, but I think my health is too fragile for that at this time.  If I were wealthy and could have a private plane and boat to come and go when I felt like it, it might be doable.  But I am in no way able to go with a group and stick to its timetable.  Darn!  That is pretty much the only other thing I wished to see in the world. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your eye-witness report, !

We spend most of our time in Europe in Vienna, Austria, and the women there dress much the same way you described women in Paris and environs.  I have always found that my Linea fits in perfectly there, to the point that no one thinks I am an American/tourist.  I've even had other European tourists ask me if I speak English LOL! 

We always stay in a residential area, near a large university.  The younger kids' style is more nearly what we see with the same age group here, but not any adult, professional woman, no matter the age.  I remember marvelling at a very smartly dressed young professional woman flying over the cobblestones in high heels with no apparent problem!  But most women wore more "sensible" shoes.

I don't remember the women in Vienna wearing as much make-up as what you described for the Parisians.  And the younger generation even less, most with long hair.  Also lots of scarves for all ages and minimal, classic jewelry for adult women.

Thanks again for your report!

Respected Contributor

Just my opinion, but I think nude lipstick is for young women with flawless skin. I think it makes older women look older and drawn. A little color does wonders. I don't even like it on the QVC models. I always think they look better when they have a color on their lips. It doesn't have to be bright, but something so they don't look embalmed! The French women always do it right. I think it's in their DNA.

Trusted Contributor

@Barbara in Virginia

We're looking at Vienna as our next trip abroad - probably next year.  When I began doing some preliminary research, they had me at one word - PASTRY!  As yummy as the French pastry was, I have no doubt that in Vienna, it's stellar!  

And you're right, I was focused on older professional women, perhaps not the school aged.  However, I did happily notice while walking around the Sorbonne and the Latin Quarter in Paris, that the college students (what I perceived to be college students), were very nicely dressed. (skirts, blazers, ballet flats, patterned hose) I also didn't see any 'distressed' jeans - they were skinny to be sure, but not destroyed!

Trusted Contributor

Oh, my, Vienna is our favorite city in the WORLD!  It is just divine.  We lived there for a spell when my husband was part of a US delegation and return for as long as we can for as often as we can.  Have been there for every season but summer, which we avoid, as that is their heaviest tourist season and also the operas and concert halls are black.  Don't care for the music offerings designed for tourists.

A daily ritual for us was to stop for coffee and pastries at 4PM, which the locals also do.  Divine. When we lived there we lived in Nussdorf, about 25 minutes from the historic First District.  But on return trips have rented an apartment in Alsergrund, the 9th District.  Everything is much more reasonably priced there, quieter, and I just like being in a residential district.  People are very friendly and helpful. Public transportation there is excellent:  fast, clean, secure, and easy to use.

Here is a video a couple of years old but which shows how the students there dress.  Also a good representation of the cheer there we always encounter.  The Viennese are very creative. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkHOiJJlX7I

And in another part of Vienna with folks of all ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OjXQEQuPsg#t=241.533968