Respected Contributor

Re: Washed the new trench and blazer

@santorini  - I wash most everything before I wear it as well.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@author wrote:

@santorini 

For many years my chemical allergies were so bad that anything "new" had to be washed, or aired thoroughly,  put outside or in garage to off-gas.  I can tolerate new clothing now, but many times do still wash before wearing it.  Every now and then something arrives from QVC that is so bad I simply return it rather than bothering with waiting for it to clear, if it ever would.

I can't imagine what it would be like with no sense of smell, and you are a wise woman to safeguard your own health by washing things before wearing.  Plus, many chemicals, as I well know, have no odor at all but still make me sick until they are gone, and some don't degrade for a very long time.

@author  @santorini   I take mine to the cleaners after spritizing with vinegar/water and ask them to press.  There is no odor that way.  I have asthma and my sense of smell is quite intense.  I hang the items out in the sunroom overnight where I spritz with vinegar-water.  The following morning, I take to the dry cleaners and asked them to be pressed.  They know.  They are accustomed to me at the local dry cleaners.  One of the blazers I recently received from LDO had no semblance of a lapel and the dry cleaners I use had one made and adjusted the other to the same size and shape, for a minimum amount.  My tailor/seamstress is located next door.  She gets all their work (and mine).  

Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'll never understand why someone would wash something, especially a coat, that is brand new.

@Kachina624  After my thorough explanation, I find your note very rude.   I hope my note helped the rest of the kind posters. 

@santorini.  Sorry, I overlooked your explanation.  There are many customers who routinely wash everything they buy, which I've never understood.   Sounds like you have a good reason.   My son also had no sense of smell.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@santorini I was planning to wash not dry clean, and I'm glad to know you can machine wash and dry a little.  Thanks for the instructions.  I also wash most things before wearing.  This coat doesn't seem to have a pronounced smell, so I plan to wear it without washing.  I welcome any info or advice!

Trusted Contributor

I can’t imagine NOT washing something before I wear it! Who knows who tried something on, or where the “new” items were made or stored before I get them. YUCK!

Thanks @santorini for mentioning that this coat can be washed. I am going to buy one for my mom and know she will appreciate this information,
Esteemed Contributor

Because I have no idea how clean the Chinese factories and the people working in those factories are OR ARE NOT!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills How racist!  Quite an assumption that Chinese people are not clean.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for this post! I prefer not going to the dry cleaners so I’m glad it worked for you to wash these items at home. I appreciate you sharing how you washed/dried these items. It’s always a little scary for me as I’ve ruined some favorite items before so I won’t be so leery now. 😊
Respected Contributor

@Biftu
No need to turn this into a racist thing. Sadly, many items coming from China have had quality issues, some of them downright scary and lethal (baby formula comes to mind). I’m sure that’s what the poster was inferring to.
Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I use vinegar to clean everything!  I do spritz clothing with it to freshen/clean  things that can't be drycleaned and it works very well.  I am not able to go anywhere near a drycleaner as the chems from the building give me a severe reaction. 

I do fine if I avoid sources of trouble, so no Wal-Mart, garden centers, swimming pools, home stores, dry cleaners, Costco, and on and on.  Over the past 25 years having this issue I have managed to live a fairly normal life, but am always very careful.  Online ordering is always a gamble too as delivery vehicles can have something chemical in them as well as containers  shipped from China, etc.