Respected Contributor

Washed the new trench and blazer

I know most will repeat Louis's advice of sending all to the dry cleaner but for those who don't want to do that and might be nervous, don't be. 😀  My 3 faux suede trench coats and 2 blazers arrived. I washed them (not all together) on the delicate cycle and put them in the dryer on delicate for about 4 minutes. They were then placed on hangers to dry completely. They came out great. The trench coats need no steaming at all. They are perfect and ready to wear. The blazers just need steaming as some of the minor packing wrinkles are still there. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Washed the new trench and blazer

@santorini 

Thanks for the info!  I can't do dry cleaning (allergy to the chemicals) so it's great to know these items can be successfully washed!  Pretty amazing that they can.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@author You're welcome!  I wash everything before wearing.  Getting the possible chemicals out is one reason people wash new things but for me, there is an additional reason. I was in a horrible accident 2 years ago and as a result of the major head injuries, I can't smell.  Sometimes clothing items that are sent to us have awful smells until they are washed. Since I can't smell and don't live with anyone who could tell me if a smell was present, I feel the need to launder everything.  Always. I would be so embarrassed if someone smelled a terrible chemical scent coming from me and assumed I wasn't a clean person. 😀  And yes, I do still have a grudge against that texting driver. Working on it, but it's still there. 😀

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

You are a brave woman...glad it worked out for you and Louis too.

Respected Contributor

@santorini 

For many years my chemical allergies were so bad that anything "new" had to be washed, or aired thoroughly,  put outside or in garage to off-gas.  I can tolerate new clothing now, but many times do still wash before wearing it.  Every now and then something arrives from QVC that is so bad I simply return it rather than bothering with waiting for it to clear, if it ever would.

I can't imagine what it would be like with no sense of smell, and you are a wise woman to safeguard your own health by washing things before wearing.  Plus, many chemicals, as I well know, have no odor at all but still make me sick until they are gone, and some don't degrade for a very long time.

Honored Contributor

I'll never understand why someone would wash something, especially a coat, that is brand new.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'll never understand why someone would wash something, especially a coat, that is brand new.

@Kachina624  I can't, either.    In fact, I keep all NEW clothes on a special color hanger......ya know.....in case something "monumental" happens.....like somebody asks me out.................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  The OP explained her reason above. It's legitimate.

I do wash all of my clothing (not coats) and linens prior to use. I want to have items absolutely clean before using them (as well as to remove shipping creases before wearing them and to make sure items do not shrink). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  After my thorough explanation, I find your note very rude.   I hope my note helped the rest of the kind posters. 

Respected Contributor

@mary0129 wrote:

You are a brave woman...glad it worked out for you and Louis too.

Why was I brave? The instructions on the labels say to machine wash. I have washed enough of his items to know how they hold up. I have his faux suede items including the anorak jacket that have washed beautifully.   

I think I will keep my tips to myself in the future, though. Hugs to the Linea ladies who are always very kind.