Honored Contributor

Re: Something to think about!

@golding76.  I don't remember any of those things but I was never a "Linea Groupie".  I wear mostly jeans or twill pants and nice tops so I just pick up an occasional whisper knit or nice blouse; no blazers, trenches, skirts, or knit pants.  I got more interested when he started offering jewelry that was my style.  I have followed Louis on the Linea thread here and sometimes on his blog.  I probably missed most of his  earlier shows.  I would have loved to have had his clothes when I dressed for work but I've been retired almost 23.years.

I know he often had terrible middle of the night hours and many strange shipping problems.

I guess we'll wait and see w h at happens next.  I'm guessing nothing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Kachina624,

The part that always puzzled me was that Louis never appeared on Zoom, and this obviously took your interest, too.

Someone once asked Louis about this on his blog, and I believe he responded that Jennifer is now the rep to appear on camera.  The answer was not fully satisfying (although I do not recall its full content).  But there was a certain strange acceptance of this.

My thought about this was that QVC had imposed all sorts of limitations on him.  The "why" of it, I don't know.  I can't imagine Louis being anything other than a gentleman, so I don't think he and Mike George had an irreparable breach.  But something is not "normal" in his relationship with QVC.  Can't quite put my finger on why I feel this way, but my gut tells me he did not receive equal treatment over the years. 

If you recall, I'm the one who always put on her tinfoil hat when things went awry for his on-air appearances.  Remember the time that the white or beige top Brenda was wearing was slit down the side?  It seemed like sabotage to me.  This occurred years ago when there was a thick pack of Linea Ladies buying very often, Louis was in his glory and, I suspect, some other of the house-brand designers were jealous of his success with this exclusive group of women.  Louis explained later that a shipment all had slits (or something like that), but maybe someone maliciously slashed an entire box's contents.  Do you recall mics going silent and other weird happenings that seemed to happen only when he was on-air?  Each time these flukes happened, it was all I could do not to scream.

Oh, and let's not forget the times when the system crashed and we were unable to buy when his show was airing.  Yeah, all by chance...

@golding76 

"Someone once asked Louis about this on his blog, and I believe he responded that Jennifer is now the rep to appear on camera.  The answer was not fully satisfying (although I do not recall its full content).  But there was a certain strange acceptance of this."

That was me.  I asked him if he ever considered using Skype.  He replied he wouldn't take the job away from Jennifer.  "It's her job now."  I decided that wasn't a good business decision.  

"my gut tells me he did not receive equal treatment over the years."

From what I've seen, he didn't. 

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Louis has had several TSV's through the years, but not lately.  One blazer he designed sold around 25,000.  

Respected Contributor

You guys keep talking about Mike George.  He is either retiring or leaving QVC.  It was in the Wall Street Journal.

Trusted Contributor

Mike George is leaving QVC at the end of 2021.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Foxxee, Louis made it very clear that Jennifer was hired to be the Brand Spokesperson, and went on air pre Covid. He went on to explain when the question came up that if he went on in her place she would not be paid, and he did not want to take that money from her. I think that was a very honorable thing to do. When you think about it where are all of the other spokespeople that represent other brands like Jackie who did Isaac? I guess she's out of a job and not getting paid? I would c ertainly agree that he hasn't gotten equal treatment ever since he was let go the first time and that was over 10 years ago.

Respected Contributor

Just a little refresh to remind everyone about Louis travelling to QVC.  It wasn't as easy as Louis getting into a car and driving.  Louis styled each and everyone of the items he was presenting on air for that hour in all the colorways for each of his models from his samples at home (Maria being the exception because she was a large) and loaded them in his car in garment bags with the sketch attached on the outside with the models name.  Inside the garment bag was the complete outfit as well as accessories including jewelry, gloves, hats, belts and shoes which he purchased at his own cost until he was required to use QVC inventory. There were almost 30 garment bags.......for an hour show. He posted pictures on his website of unloading the car and placing all the garment bags on garment racks to roll into QVC.  This is how he prepared for his show, that is how he did his runway shows at Anne Klein, that is how he has, always, worked which is the main reason his presentations were like no one else.

Louis was very, very clear regarding his reasons for no longer travelling to QVC and I believe him, he is a man of his word.  I believe him as well when he stated his reasons for not appearing on zoom was not wanting to deprive Jennifer of an income.

This is a man who ran an extremely successful company........Anne Klein for 20 years.  He is, totally, aware of fulfillment houses, shipping, how it all works in a retail environment.  After 20 years at QVC, he is very aware and knowledgeable regarding how the home shopping networks work as well.  He knows exactly what his options are if he chooses to go forward.  He knows better than any of us.  His reputation succeeds him.  The other part of Louis to be admired is his is a true gentlemen in a field where that is rare.......... 

No one took the amount of time that Louis did to spoil all of us:  to answer each and every question we asked, to personally style our outfits when we raised questions about what to wear, to take the time to make and publish videos showing all the new items with descriptions, details, how to style it using older pieces, pure Louis and those videos were wonderful.........far better than any on air presentation that was rushed, interrupted with chatter from the host.  Some of his videos included Jennifer and Cathy wearing the items as well.  Oh boy...........did he spoil us!!!!  Yes, he surely did!  He, truly, cares............his reputation at Anne Klein was that he listened to his clientele and what they wanted all within his aesthetic.  He did the same at QVC.

He stands above the crowd..........always has.........always will.

Occasional Contributor

Well, I got a reply from Kimberly of QVC telling me my feedback will be forwarded to the proper people.........probably a trash bin of some sort!

I am still so saddened by Louis' departure, but this just seems to fit in with the previous yucky things of these past months!  I will not be shopping at the  Q anymore and in some ways this makes me happy. May sound weird, but I plan to spend that extra time doing something more productive. Not sure what that is yet, but asking for some heavenly guidance there!  
I have purchased most of his fall collection and just ordered some more jewels and another blazer and WK sweater. My closet runneth over!  I have purchased a few items fro Cabi and they are nicely made and stylish. Their shipping is way too slow, and this.  would be my only complaint........worse than QVC!  So there will be life after Linea BUT not one that I would prefer!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Snowflakes in hell have a better chance than there is of Mike George backing down a second time.

I personally think there was an unpleasant dust-up between Louis and Q PTB.  I think he was asked not to return to the premises, hence his story about not traveling (with many alternatives available).  Note that he has never been given the opportunity to appear on Zoom, as have other vendors.  Something has gone on behind the scenes.  Its probably irreversible. 

@Kachina624  That's the thing.The train from Ct. and I'm not sure where he would get that, would have to go into Manhattan and then I guess bus it to West Chester. This would take forever. No airports are near him. The easiest is driving. That's why Joan Rivers always came by car. If there was an easier way she would have taken it.

@proudlyfromNJ.  When your whole life revolves around your job and traveling for your job is essential, you travel.  He could hire a driver or limo service.  He could leisurely travel to West Chester, spend a couple nights in a nice hotel or B&B and take his time driving home.  Its not that strenuous of a drive.  He's not that old and feeble.   I think it's  a cop out.

@Kachina624  Ok I agree. Cop out. You are right. Sorry I said anything. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Grammie Becky wrote:

Well, I got a reply from Kimberly of QVC telling me my feedback will be forwarded to the proper people.........probably a trash bin of some sort!

I am still so saddened by Louis' departure, but this just seems to fit in with the previous yucky things of these past months!  I will not be shopping at the  Q anymore and in some ways this makes me happy. May sound weird, but I plan to spend that extra time doing something more productive. Not sure what that is yet, but asking for some heavenly guidance there!  
I have purchased most of his fall collection and just ordered some more jewels and another blazer and WK sweater. My closet runneth over!  I have purchased a few items fro Cabi and they are nicely made and stylish. Their shipping is way too slow, and this.  would be my only complaint........worse than QVC!  So there will be life after Linea BUT not one that I would prefer!

@Grammie Becky 

Yeah, I received the same reply from Kimberly yesterday, and thought the same as you.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett