Trusted Contributor

Re: Sneak Peek - Status Print Tunic!

Good design is forever.  That's why they are called classics!  Coco Chanel introduced sailors' sweaters in the now classic Breton stripe for women back in the early days of the last century, and what followed is now a part of fashion history.  Classics now, but revolutionary at the time!

Respected Contributor

Barbara, you're an expert on fabrics. How far back would you say these types of status prints go? I'm guessing to the ancient Romans and Greeks. Do you think that's accurate?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Marilyn,

Along with you, I await Babara's knowledgeable response, but I am aware that there is the ever-present arabesque design in the so-called "status print."  So, I googled and found this information that might be helpful:

What Is an Arabesque?

We all love beautiful decorated surfaces. Do you have any in your home? Think about colorful designs on fabric curtains or the pattern on a woven rug. In the Near East, intricate designs with interwoven lines and leaf-like forms developed, and they were used on many kinds of surfaces. These types of designs were referred to by the name ''arabesque.''

An arabesque is a pattern of curving lines layered with intertwined elements, like vines and leaves, and abstract forms that don't resemble anything found in nature. Decorative arabesque patterns can be found covering surfaces on buildings like mosques, as well as items like ceramic tiles and glassware. But where did this design come from?

Islamic Arabesque Designs

The arabesque traces its history to the Near and Middle East. Around 1000 AD, possibly near Baghdad, Muslim artists developed images of vines, flowers and lines into an intricate, spectacular art form. Such designs are considered biomorphic, which means they resemble natural forms without depicting specific creatures or plants.

Religion played an important role in the arabesque's development. When Islam rose around 700 AD and spread through the Middle East, it came with rules forbidding depictions of creatures like humans and animals, especially on things like buildings with a religious purpose. As a result, Islamic artists instead based their imagery on geometry, calligraphy (the art of beautiful writing), and the arabesque. These elements didn't have recognizable creatures, so they could be used to adorn sacred spaces without relying on figural art. It's a very different idea about decoration than was found in Western culture at the time.

Example of arabesque design on the wall of a mosque in the Middle East
Example of arabesque design

Arabesque designs use elements like spiral and curving forms in an infinitely repeated, usually symmetrical pattern. Designs may feature many layers of interwoven figures and line. Sometimes, geometric figures are also included, as are forms called kapali, linear figures with closed ends. Arabesque designs on surfaces create a sense of pleasing overall rhythm and patterns. As the Islamic religion spread, arabesques could be found on walls of mosques and palaces, on ceramic tiles and vessels, and on glassware.

Turkish tiles made with repeating arabesque patterns
Turkish tile with arabesque pattern

Western Arabesque Patterns

Eventually the Islamic arabesque found its way to Europe, mostly through two avenues. It came through Southern Italy and Sicily, because they were close to geographic regions in which the Islamic faith had taken hold. These areas were also influenced by similar designs found on ancient Roman artifacts. Variations on the arabesque also developed on the Iberian peninsula in places like Spain, the westernmost edge of Islam's spread.

Arabesque pattern on a palace wall in Seville, Spain
Arabesque from Seville Spain

Honored Contributor

An ancient Greek "meander" ornament:

Ancient Greece Meander Ornament, arabesque PNG clipart | free ...

Honored Contributor

Did Chanel introduce the chains that often appear on the status print?

Who knows the answer?

Vintage Chanel Silk Scarf Black Gold Chain Link 31 Rue Cambon ...

Honored Contributor

I thought it was Hermès with the riding stirrups motifs?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Goldie, thank you for all of this very interesting information and the pictures are wonderful. I see many status prints with the Greek Key motif, so I thought maybe it could be traced back to the  Greeks and Romans? 

Honored Contributor

@golding76  When I was in southern Spain as a teenager, I was quite impressed with the tile designs everywhere. You could sit on a toilet in a bathroom & marvel up close at the artwork inside the stall. 

So symetrical  and colorful.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Marilyn,

I was trying to remember if the Greek Key was on many of the status prints.  Thank you for refreshing my memory.

Yes, that is an ancient design.

Barbara's point that the status print is classic was right on point. 

This print never goes out of fashion.  Perhaps people tire of it after it has been out again, but they return.

JJM,

My, but the beauty around the commodes must have been simply lovely.  What a luxury...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you may be correct Chris. Hermes was arround long before Chanel, and they were know for their riding paraphanlia, saddles, crops, boots and scarves. The horse bit was their signature before Gucci took it as theirs.