Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Sneak Peek - Moroccan Necklace & Earring Set!

Lovely.......

It is now quite a few years ago that a wonderful store in SOHO closed. The name of the store was the name of the owner………JACQUES CARCANAGUES……………He had impeccable taste, and everything in the store was to lust over. Everything was antique, and imported from his favorite countries, Bali, North Africa…… Morocco in particular and India. He had everything from Balinese carved wooden doors that people bought as wall hangings, beautiful wooden painted tables from India. African masks on wrought iron stands, rugs and textiles, and objects of all kinds. It was a fantasy…true eye candy…I think you get the idea. Jacques was a strange man. Basically he ignored the customers……..but…..if he saw you looking at, and buying things he really liked he was more personable. I was a pretty frequent customer so when I came in or Jac and I visited the store he would always stop to say hello and we would chat about the new things in the store and his travels……Jac and I loved his things and own many pieces. He had no idea who I was, and probably didn’t care. He was the center of his universe……It was a great loss when he decided to retire and close the store. There has never, and probably never will be another store like this…..There will never be another Jacques Carcanagues……Many of my New York Ladies know the store and know what a treasure it was……Jacques had a large collection of jewelry in the store. Most of it was old, but many of the necklaces were made on site in the basement of the store. He had a huge collection of beads, and plain or enameled metal pieces….some old and some new. Many from Africa, India and Bali. He had a man who would make one of a kind necklaces with these beads, and they were all fabulous. He also had new things that were made mostly in Bali and India….all very unique and special….I would buy things to show on the models to accessorize the clothes before I had a jewelry line……………My MOROCCAN NECKLACE & EARRING SET, J477433, is a reproduction of one of the necklaces I bought at Jacques’ store. I designed the earring to go with it…..an easy task……The color above is BRASS OX with black shiny beads which is exactly as the original. The fluted metal beads are blackened in the grooves to give an antique and artisan look. They are HOLLOW so they WEIGH NOTHING……The BLACK ROUND BEADS are in two sizes. At the back of the neck from the Lobster claw to the first bead is a series of small brass ox beads which I added  so it would lay better around the neck. This was the only change to the original. I must emphasize how light the earring is. It has presence due to the size of the bead, but it is very comfortable to wear……..To coordinate with the necklace I am introducing the roller bracelet in BRASS OX. All colors have been reordered and will be avail soon. Needless to say the Brass Ox roller mixed with the Black Roller looks fabulous with the Moroccan set…………This is a set that you will wear all year…….Artisan Ethnic jewelry is timeless and forever……………………………………………………….enjoy……………………much Love…………………….Louis

Fortunately, Jacques had the necklace in his store in a Silver Ox version so I bought that too………Both colors are beautiful and both are very authentic looking. Again, the Roller Bracelets in the Silver and Black are the perfect compliment…….This is a very unique and special necklace………Which ever you choose be sure you will get that so often asked question when you are wearing Linea jewelry….”where did you get that?”.

Contributor

Re: Sneak Peek - Moroccan Necklace & Earring Set!

I am going to need a second job.  lol

It would be wonderful if Louis designed a jewelry box for these treasures.