Respected Contributor

Sneak Peek El Morocco Necklace & Earrings!

Am drawn to the Gunmetal.

ACBF9996-81AC-4625-9CF6-4279B78839BA.jpeg……………………….EL MOROCCO was a fabulous haunt of the rich and famous from the 30s to the 50s and 60s. A sumptuous dinner club for the “Cafe Society”, which consisted of socialites, politicians and entertainers. Every night till dawn it was a “Who’s Who” of the rich and famous. Jerome Zerbe was the clubs photographer, and everyone wanted their picture taken, because they knew it would be in the papers the next day. El Morocco never needed to be named. Just seeing the celebrities sitting in the famous blue and white ZEBRA banquets said it all. Those in the know knew exactly where the picture was taken…………….A stunning cocktail dress was the uniform, and BLACK was the most popular….The LBD……All it needed was to be dressed up with beautiful jewelry that could easily be seen above the table tops…. Those who didn’t want to come off ostentatious wore GORGEOUS GOLD with a sprinkling of DIAMONDS………El Morocco was located at 154 East 54th Street…..right around the corner from Parson’s School of Design. I would pass it every morning and every evening on my way to and from school…..Sometimes I would leave school so late I would see the patrons enter the club…..It was very exciting. Even as student we all knew E Morocco!….I wanted to dress those women, and eventually I did…………………The necklace and Earring I’m featuring is named “El Morocco” in honor of the club, and all the women who crossed its’ threshold………….J483112 is the style number for the necklace. The intricately linked GOLD chain is solid metal, so there is weight to this necklace, but that only makes it feel all the more expensive………The MAGNETIC PAVE BALL is GOLD with CLEAR CRYSTALS…..sorry no diamonds, but we can dream! The only time you would have to unclasp it is if you want to wear it doubled, but you would have to have a slim neck to do this. You can wear the Pave Ball off to the side, the way I like it, or at the bottom,, or sometimes even at the back not showing at all depending on what you are wearing….The Ball has a RIGHT and a WRONG way of connecting the two halves. It will become obvious to you upon examination…….It can be worn casually with jeans a blouse or tee in the summer…perfect for the South of France……….or dressed up with your LBD……….The Pave Domed Earring comes matching in the GOLD with CLEAR CRYSTALS….J483106 is the style number, and will be avail both CLIP and PIERCED. It’s avail in FIVE METAL COLORS, all with clear crystals, to go with everything you own…..This is a wonderful stand alone earring, and when you want just a little sparkle at your face, this is the one you will choose……..There are so many outfits you can wear this with….a fabulous suit like the Scarlet Red, Dark Forest Green, Caramel and of course Black. It will look fabulous with your new PLAID BLAZERS too……………..This, as they say, is a “Moneyed Look”……….Sophisticated and Chic with lots and lots of CLASS!…………….enjoy………………….much Love……………….Louis0D444026-1E97-43C7-B48B-1F57E21A9F4E.jpeg

…………………………………For my SILVER LOVERS, the El Morocco will also be avail in Silver with a Silver Pave Ball paved with Clear Crystals. The matching earring will be in Silver and Clear Crystal too. Unfortunately, the photos on the Linea jewelry site do no justice to these pieces at all. The CHUNKY chain in the SHINY metal finishes with the refined pave using TINY STONES gives this the look of real……..something you might see in a case at Tiffany’s……….It is made beautifully. Each link is smooth and its’ edged shape catches the light beautifully. Believe me when I say this looks like a piece that could easily cost hundreds of $$$ in any boutique or high end department store. I am sure you will be pleased when you remove it from its’ package……This would make an awesome present for some lucky recipient…………………………..enjoy………………………much Love……………………………LouisDD6C53E8-6965-4131-B445-A5CD58961E13.jpeg

………………………………..I believe I have introduced you to enough GUNMETAL over the years that it is almost an expected choice in Linea Jewelry………It is certainly for the discerning…..those who like to go off the beaten track and try something new!……The combination of Gunmetal and Crystal has a very MODERN look, yet also has an antique quality. The Crystals really stand out against the Gunmetal………………………….I know those of you who select this combination will enjoy its’ special quality………………..en joy……………..much Love………………….Louis

Honored Contributor

Re: Sneak Peek El Morocco Necklace & Earrings!

Love this necklace and earring!

Gads, I remember when I read the fanzines of my youth and luminaries were photographed at El Morocco and the Latin Quarter as well as the Cocoanut Grove in Los Angeles.   (That was how "Cocoanut" was spelled, by the way.) 

Respected Contributor

Nice looking set!

Trusted Contributor

I love this!!!  It is just the kind of understated elegance that I prefer.

Louis just keeps on churning them out, doesn't he?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Love this necklace and earring!

Gads, I remember when I read the fanzines of my youth and luminaries were photographed at El Morocco and the Latin Quarter as well as the Cocoanut Grove in Los Angeles.   (That was how "Cocoanut" was spelled, by the way.) 

@golding76 

My parents used to go to the Cocoanut Grove.  I have a picture of my parents, two of his sisters and their husbands there to see Xavier Cugat.  All three females were sitting around the table smoking!

Honored Contributor

Omigosh, DiAnne.  That photo must be a hoot!

Honored Contributor

DiAnne, that photograph is priceless.  Oh, I remember the ladies who smoked were so chic. I do remember Mr Cougat as well.  

Respected Contributor

Wasn't Charo the singer with his band?

Honored Contributor

Charo was his last wife and did perform with Cugat in the waning years of his band's performing period.  He was playing at the Cocoanut Grove in L.A. in the 1920s, decades before Charo was born.

From Wikipedia:

In the 1920s, he led a band that played often at the Cocoanut Grove, a club in Los Angeles. Cugat's friend, Charlie Chaplin, visited the club to dance the tango, so Cugat added tangos to the band's performances.[5] Seeing how popular the dance was becoming, Cugat convinced the owner to hire South American dancers to give tango lessons. This, too, became popular, and Cugat made the dancers part of his orchestra. In 1928 he turned his act into the film Xavier Cugat and His Gigolos.[5][6]

Cugat had five wives.  I'd completely forgotten he was once married to Abbe Lane.

From Wikipedia:

Cugat was married five times. His first marriage was to Rita Montaner (1918–20), his second was to Carmen Castillo (1929–44), his third to Lorraine Allen (1947–52), his fourth to singer Abbe Lane (1952–64), and his fifth to Spanish guitarist and comic actress Charo Baeza (1966–78).