Respected Contributor

Red and Black Floral Blouse and Skirt

[ Edited ]

So on a lark I also ordered the blouse to match the red skirt, even though I don't like wearing polyester tops.  I received it today, and it is very nice.  I'm definitely going to layer it over one of my cotton yoga shirts or a red cap sleeve Talbots t-shirt so that the completely unbreathable polyester isn't right next to my skin.

The red floral is much tamer than it appears in the photo.  Louis described it as true red, and he is 100% correct.  The background is much more muted, not so oddly pinkish and bright as it appears in the photos.  The white and yellow flowers really tone it down.  My very old Talbots rayon/nylon v-neck sweater looks good paired underneath it, and the cable sweater looks nice over top.  

This is a shorter blouse, and that is something I really like.  I've got a 25-inch max length measurement for my tops, and I only own one tunic (an old Eileen Fisher sweater).  I'm usually an XS at QVC, but ordered a size S based upon the cross shoulder measurement, because I have broad shoulders and I especially didn't want anything tight across my back or armpits that is made of polyester.  That was a good decision.  I like the way the S fits.  It is breezy and cute, untucked.  If I decide it is too large across the back of the waist I can always add some shallow shaping darts.

So ladies, don't be afraid of the red print.  It's not as in-your-face as it might strike you in the photos. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Red and Black Floral Blouse and Skirt

Forgot to add - and this is exactly the kind of blouse for which I need a butter yellow openwork shrug!

Esteemed Contributor

@Favorite Son-thanks for your review I am still waiting for the red and black sets.  I ordered the same size as the wildflower top so it should fit fine. 

I can easily see and wear this print under one of my open crochet short cardigans when the weather is cool. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finally received both sets today and I love and will keep both colors.  I was planning on wearing one to church tomorrow for Mother's Day but the weather will be raining and chilly and this material is very light weight.  You are so right about the colors they are done beautifully and they are both very wearable.  I ordered my regular xl size and the fit is perfect as well as the length of the skirt which falls right below the knees and I'm 5'5.  I plan to wear the skirts with either a tank top, cardigan or jacket pulling anyone of these colors from the print and the blouse as a jacket with a tank top or buttoned up as a blouse since the length is shorter.

I will make sure I button up in front of a mirror though....LOL.  

Respected Contributor

I wish I ordered this when it was on sale. I know it sounds silly, but I have a hard time ordering it when I know I could’ve gotten it cheaper. I just watched the presentation this morning and thought of ordering. Then I had to take one of my dogs to the vet, so I ended up not ordering.

If I ever do, I’m leaning towards the black set mainly because I already have the red floral ruffle blouse from earlier this season. I doubt I’d wear this as a set, but more like luvitorleaveit described.
Respected Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 

Glad you got your delivery before Mother's Day! And, that you love them! Waiting for my shirt to arrive...Tempted to get the skirt now, based on your review.

Esteemed Contributor

You can't go wrong with just the blouse either it's a great way to punch up a solid dress or tank top and the material is divine.