Regular Contributor

Please, help me bring back my enthusiasm !,

First, I have been, and still am, an avid Linea fan, and a complete supporter of Louis personally. It is beyond belief how he has become a “virtual” friend to all of us and allowed us entry into his personal life and allowed us to grieve with and try to support him in his loss of Jac......Jac, “Three Times a Lady” for those of you who remember that song. But lately, I have just lost excitement for the shows I used to have and it bums me out. There was an earlier thread on polyester with which I agreed and there are too many hi-lo and  prints of which I’m not a fan, too many tunics. loved it when there would be collections of all the same color and fabrics. Now I’m not sure if “taupe” is the same as “mushroom” or “fawn”; granted, all colors that usually work together but make it complicated to tell if it’s a “must have”, or I already do...I know I truly miss the days of silk,linen, and cotton as others have mentioned, and realize those days are gone. But, as was mentioned, other brands are able to utilize blends, and cottons and I so wish Louis would consider that. I would welcome less items for better fabrics and complete collections.  Maybe it’s just a “phase” and I hope it’s soon over because I so love his clothes. It could be that I’m beginning to realize I have “enough”. But....again, as dearly departed Kenneth Jay Lane used to say, “Too much is not enough”!...!!!! 😄 can anyone help me get my mojo back??

Contributor

Re: Please, help me bring back my enthusiasm !,

I'm with you here.  I rarely buy  from the brand anymore as the offerings don't appeal to me like the past collections did.  I have one entire closet filled with Linea to prove my love of the brand, and maybe like you, it's time to slow down.  I occassionally will buy from the jewelry line, but I'm finding the prices too much for my budget.  As for Louis himself, what's not to like?  

Contributor

I won't be able to help you get your enthusiasm back, unfortunately. I agree with you on most points. I love Louis, and my closet is probably 85% Linea. I just pulled out one of my Posh Knit cardigans to go the the movie theatre a few days ago. Wonderful! I also pulled out one of my many black blazers to try on with the new camo ruffle skirt yesterday and I realized just how many I have: an obscene amount! He is great at selling his designs, probably because he his so proud of his work and he knows that other Q brands do not offer the amount of detailing that he does, and I agree.

And before I go further, to all of the die-hard Linea fans: I HAVE SPENT A FORTUNE ON LINEA!!!!!

Still, the fabrics now tend to be all the same. 

My new mantra is "I must keep my eye on things that are flattering for me". I need lower necklines and shorter tops, and because of that, I am becoming a more discerning shopper in his line. 

Louis has told us that the Q dictates a lot of what he can do in terms of necklines. I purchase anything he sells that shows more neck and decolete (not too low, of course). My designer and dresser friend always rolls her eyes when she sees me in his higher necklines and tells me that they do not do anything for me and that I need to alter them. I swear, if she had a pair of scissors with her she would start the process herself, LOL!

Mass selling via tv requires clothes that don't need to be so body specific, thus LOTS of tunics. With my short torso I can not wear the longer tunics. The asymmetrical, shark bite etc hemlines are ok, but how many does a person need?

I can't wear the gauze pants more than one day without washing, because my body does not behave as if they are "breathable"! I love them, but they need more care than is advertised, As he says, not everything is for everyone. 

I missed out on the linen pants if they were 100% linen, but I have others purchased at dept stores. I do have some of the natural fiber blends Louis sold earlier and I treasure them. I honestly can't say whether i would purchase something at a higher price point. It would depend on the detailing, color, shape and fit. I look somewhere other than QVC when I want something in a fine fabric that will be a classic in my wardrobe and a staple for all time.

I will continue to be a loyal Linea shopper, but as I stated earlier, I need to be more discerning and I probably will not buy or keep as many as I used to. Besides, many or most of his designs are classic and I can shop from my closet Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

I own so much Linea fashion and jewelry -- to the point of outrageous gluttony -- that I truly do not need anything else.  However, Louis does continue to tantalize and "trap" me.  

Because some of us (maybe many of us) have retired and are even in our 70s, the time has come for the Linea line to attract younger buyers.  I think that is happening to some extent.  Thank heavens!

So, if we older fashionistas are not won over by this or that but the item will attract younger buyers, I'm all for that.  Keep the line going so that we can still choose those things we love.

By the way, I think many of us will never fully quit falling in love with Louis's designs because falling in love with them and owning them keeps us fresh and alive.  That's my take on all this.

Respected Contributor

I agree.  At this point, I have way more than "enough."    Almost all of it is LInea and Talbots.

So unless there's something really really tempting, I'm quitting for awhile.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree, but I think we're in the minority when it comes to natural fabrics.  

Remember him saying on his blog there were too many returns when he used natural fabrics.  Most of his buyers like wash and wear.  They also like low prices and synthetics cost less than natural fabrics.

He submits different designs to QVC. Not all are accepted, so what we see are QVC's choices.  Ask him for something on his blog and he'll tell you QVC might not accept it.

I agree, most of his designs lacked inspiration this past year, but still think he's the best designer QVC has.  

I did purchase his leather jacket last fall, cotton lace pants and polyester printed skirt with a ruffle this past Spring...which was a huge stretch for this classic dresser.  And two necklaces.  All so well made, couldn't resist.  

It's a wait and see for his Fall line.  

As far as taupe, I have seen this color called taupe when it was closer to khaki.  Taupe has grey in it, so we shall see.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It would be grossly remiss of me not to write that no one, absolutely no one that I can afford, touches the aesthetic that resides in my soul as Louis Dell'Olio does.

Oh yes, I have an eye for Pucci, Chanel, Eileen Fisher and Dolce & Gabbana, but as my son teases, I have champagne taste on a tapwater budget.

The truth is that Louis, no matter what his price range, creates beautiful things that I would want. 

Respected Contributor

Goldie I agree with you 100% No one on QVC is offering silk. It's just not the price range QVC wants to be in. The more expensive the garment the higher the returns are. As far as sweaters are concerned I am more than happy with his Whisper Knits which are rayon and nylon. Cashmere makes me hot.. I own many linen pieces and yes I wish Louis would offer more Linen and cotton, but then you would hear all the complaints about how it wrinkles. 90% of everyones line is polyester, but at least Louis uses it in different more interesting ways. From the last show I got the Camo pieces in both colors, the Moss Crepe tops and the wood Block print pants. Since the pant is the same fabric as the stripe kimono, which I love, I know I will love the pant too. I'm not complaining, and the jewelry is GREAT!. The best anywhere. 

Esteemed Contributor

I feel the the odd woman out here, and I guess I am.  While Linea does offer some petites, it seems it is never offered in what I am interested in.  I am no longer interested in expensive alterations for my clothing, as even long sleeves require alterations for me.  There are other retailers who offer petite sizing, and that is where I purchase.  I don’t mean to offend anyone, but it is what it is.

Honored Contributor

Pam,

You make an excellent point.  I now pass on Linea pants and blouses (or any other designer's, for that matter) that require alterations.  For a special pant, I might make an exception.  But as for blouses with sleeves that need to be shortened, I've reached the end of the line.

I've still found much Linea to buy even with my self-imposed restrictions.  When I was working, I did not rejoice when I had to alter my clothing, but now I consciously seek to avoid that, even if I find a piece extremely alluring.