Respected Contributor

Placement marks on ivory top.....fyi

Today I received the extremely gasp-worthy ivory top with black lace applique on the sleeves, A347453.  I quickly tried it on for fit, loved it, LOVED it, and later got it out to try on properly with slim black pants and play with some jewelry  to make it more dressy or casual. 

I glanced down at the lace and to my dismay saw a raspberry colored blob on the ivory sleeve and then the thin line of raspberry marker used to position the lace for placement/sewing. 

I was horrified, then checked the other sleeve and there was a bright pinky-red fine line there too.  I immediately thought of return/exchange, but wondered if another would have the same issue?

Then I settled down and said to myself that I am a pro at this textile marking and there are three main ways to remove marks and one of them might work here, worth trying before I decide to return.

The first type of marker is one  that will disappear in 24 hours.  Obviously this was on there longer, and not gone.  Check that one off my list.

Second type is water soluble - so I dabbed a little cool filtered water with a Q tip on the line and waited, but nothing happened.  It didn't bleed and run, so that was good, but didn't budge either.

Third type is heat reactive.  I turned on my iron to the low setting, no steam, and gently used the tip to touch the mark, and voila!  It disappeared before my eyes.  I quickly removed the marks on both sleeves, steamed the top and it is pristine and perfect.

There are also some pens for fabric marking that that have ink that disappears if you freeze the garment/item.  And some that can be erased with special erasers.

I did the tests in that order because if you apply heat to a water soluble mark it will actually set it in permanently, so I was very careful in my tests.

Just thought I'd share my afternoon adrenaline rush, both good and bad, and the final good happy ending.  I have this unbelievably beautiful top that looks as if it were 5 times as expensive that I know I will wear many ways throughout the year.  It is around zero today with a wind chill way below and it is just the pickup I needed.

At the reduced price I highly recommend it; these things come our way infrequently and it might be worth getting one just to see if it works for you.  The black lace on ivory looks so very designer. 

I really would love the navy with white lace too but MUST be more prudent, and my closet over-floweth as is.

Respected Contributor

Re: Placement marks on ivory top.....fyi

[ Edited ]

Wow! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!! I need to take note in case I ever have this problem. Glad you got the marks out. Enjoy your new beautiful top!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the useful info @author .

I've floated your thread to the top of this forum for easy reference in the future.  

Frequent Contributor

@author Thank you so much for posting this information! I have printed out this page and also sent myself an email that is now in saved mail folder. Smiley HappyHeart

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!

I am glad I could be helpful even though in all the clothing I've bought at QVC, mostly Linea, I've never seen this nor have I read about it in a review or forum post, so it is probably a one off, but....just in case thought it might be useful info to pass along.

Of course I was very happy when the top arrived and it was so spectacular but now it is a special piece because I was able to save it from the brink.  And so easy, took me a total of 10 minutes from start to finish.  Whew.....

The lace in black honestly is to die for.

Honored Contributor

I love that top. I have the turquoise and have the pink on the way.  When I saw the reduced price, I called my sister and talked her into ordering one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@author 

Thanks for the information.  I never knew.  Even an old dog can learn apparently.