Respected Contributor

Re: New Reefer Coat - and New Leather/Knit Jacket - Videos

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Is the Reefer cost a name Louis gave it or a specific style?

@JustJazzmom Apparently, it's a specific Style of Coat.  I had never heard of it either - so I Google'd it - 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=what+is+a+reefer+coat&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&prmd=isvn&sourc...

Trusted Contributor

JJM, it's a style of a man's jacket. Close-fitting with thick fabric. Usually double-breasted but can be single.
Contributor

@Seka

Thank you for the info!!  Helps me to plan and budget...I watched all the videos, and I need coats/jackets.

I may cave for all colors in the reefer. At the very least, I'll get the black and port.   I get so much wear out of my reefer coats.  I wear them to threads! 

And..I'm thinkin' I'm in for alabaster in leather/knit.

Trusted Contributor

Oh-oh.   That coat is beautiful in black, but the port will be stunning,

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom  Yes, it is a specific style.  I don't know if it's regional or not but a reefer coat to those of us in the Midwest is a single breasted, slim line silhouette winter coat,  Although Louis did say in his explanation that it could be double breasted. I've personally only have had a single breasted one in high school.  Boy did I love that coat!

Ever Wonder What A Reefer Jacket Is?

Separator

The reefer jacket is also called boating blazer or naval blazer, and it’s a typical British English style elegant suit. This is used mainly for special or sporty occasions, and recently has become a commonly worn item also in the United States. It has surprisingly become a key-fashion suit mainly worn for business casual and also for informal business occasions.

Reefer Jacket History
Old Reefer Jacket

Old Reefer Jacket

The creation of the reefer jacket was influenced by theBritish naval uniform, so one of it’s main colors is in fact generally navy blue. However, there are some associations, such as the Rifle Association which wear military green ones.

The original  reefer jacket is a double breasted short jacket, which was in use mostly by sailors, because it gave great resistance against the harsh weather conditions. Another forms of the classic reefer jacket tailoring can be seen on today’s naval and airlines male uniforms.

Reefer Jacket Style

The style which came from reefer jacket and worn today as a double breasted suit is rather called blazer or boating blazer also influenced by the British college school uniform jackets as for the ones used in the boat clubs, also worn for the college boat competitions,  for example the world famous traditional Oxford-Cambridge competition, held yearly in Great Britain.

The blazer style of the reefer jacket was originally tailored with black buttons made of horn, then these horn buttons have been finally changed by the metallic ones. There are usually higher number of cuff links on a reefer jacket or boating blazer, normally around 4 per arm. It’s unique feature includes having a badge on the breast pocket which is the common feature of all reefer jackets. Badges can be wire badge or with regimental buttons.

Today there are two styles of the reefer jacket or boat blazer: there is a double breasted style and also there is a single breasted tailoring in use.

http://clothing.vooxo.net/outerwear/reefer-jacket.html

Respected Contributor

@cancun08

I think I can stay away from the leather jacket as I am about leather jacketed out.  I have so many great ones including Louis's espresso moto jacket from last year.  

But the reefer coat in port might crab me. I liked Louis's words on his sneak peek of the port wk tunic and port wk pants.  He said his port coat reefer coat coming in October would be such a classy addition to the wk tunic and wk pants outfit. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@anniebethsmom and @Seka

Thank you for posting that background on the "reefer" coat! Knowing its history, makes me want it all the more. Classic with English heritage--what's not to love? 

(Of course, living in Colorado where you-know-what is now legal...reefer coat could take on a whole new meaning lol)

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@culebra wrote:

@cancun08

I think I can stay away from the leather jacket as I am about leather jacketed out.  I have so many great ones including Louis's espresso moto jacket from last year.  

But the reefer coat in port might crab me. I liked Louis's words on his sneak peek of the port wk tunic and port wk pants.  He said his port coat reefer coat coming in October would be such a classy addition to the wk tunic and wk pants outfit. 

Talk about a "column of color"!! Perfection!! Instead of the tunic ( which I felt would overpower my 5ft 1 inch frame), I ordered the port turtleneck and v neck sweater.  The whole look with the coat and wk pants is so Anne Klein. I can't wait.

Btw the coat seemed to be a bit longer in length than the trench coat (which I own in the olive). It appeared to be full length as opposed to the 3/4 length trench coat. I hope so.  Did anyone else think it looked longer?

Respected Contributor

@1jac wrote:

@culebra wrote:

@cancun08

Talk about a "column of color"!! Perfection!! Instead of the tunic ( which I felt would overpower my 5ft 1 inch frame), I ordered the port turtleneck and v neck sweater.  The whole look with the coat and wk pants is so Anne Klein. I can't wait.

Btw the coat seemed to be a bit longer in length than the trench coat (which I own in the olive). It appeared to be full length as opposed to the 3/4 length trench coat. I hope so.  Did anyone else think it looked longer?

@1jac - Yes - I thought the New Coat was longer than the Trench - almost knee length on the tall models.

Honored Contributor

I looked at the video that has the alabaster leather jacket -- it has a goldtone   double zipper.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼