Honored Contributor

Re: Maasi earring and bracelet arrived--quick review!

Marilyn,

Thank you for understanding my position on too many colors for the Maasai and early Egyptian necklace to be compatible.  I thought it might be just me at work here because I have to be sensitive to coming on too gypsy-like.  I've been buying steadily for the last couple months from Linea jewelry but have always had my focus on the Mayan in gold tone.  It better wait for me!  Glad to hear it is lightweight. 

In my youth, I was far more daring with design and color!  Maybe some control was exercised, but I recently saw a wonderful photo taken in my late 20s.  There I am, in a colorful skirt not unlike the Linea Boho skirt, a solid color top that stopped below my ribs and tied in a looped knot, a big and bold necklace and a jangly gold belt around my waist.

Of course I was wearing sandals with a gold look to them that had jangly beads on the top.

Respected Contributor

Thank you. I have a large glass salad bowl filled with bracelets. I also have too many necklaces.

I am 5'1 and a smallish person and  but have the attitude needed to wear bold jewelry.

No one would ever think of me as exotic. I'm curious: why do you use the label for yourself? Is it your coloring?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

tzatke,

I wrote that I have an "exotic" look because of features and coloring that differ from the typical northern or western European look.

My hair was the "first shade of black" but has faded (do not color it), I have very dark brown eyes that are almond-shaped (common for those of Greek descent) and I have the coloring and facial features found often among Greeks and Italians.  It is a definite look, and it is different from what was the general American look for most of my lifetime. 

In a way, I have a generalized different look because I would be asked, in this order, "Are you Italian, Spanish, Jewish, Greek, Russian?"   (That one always confused me but I figured it was the Asian look of Russia they were referring to.)

I suppose having been told that I look exotic a million and one times throughout my life drove the point home.

These days, of course, we have large populations of those from the Middle East and so forth who veer even more from the traditional "American" look.   

ETA:  While writing this, I became more aware of how our country has changed demographically.  My look is far less exotic than that of so many new people who have arrived on our shores.  Times have changed.  Thus, I am practically Scottish now (LOL).

Respected Contributor

My first cousin, who is adopted, has the look you describe. She found her birth family and had a Sicilian mother. She has no info about her birth father. Many people are dark haired, etc. but her almond shaped eyes were very distinctive.

You would think she'd blend into a Jewish family. HA! Her mother and two sisters were blue eyed blondes. My mother, her aunt was a natural Marilyn Monroe blonde.

Fortunately her fathers family had dark hair and olive skin, but not the distinctive eyes.  

I have dark blonde hair (I color it) and green eyes, very fair skin. The delicate skin is a curse. I wanted the olive skin many Jewish people have. My father was blonde and blue eyed with the delicate skin. We had a family dermatologist in addition to a family doctor.

I don't have enough melanin to tan. I was always the whitest person every summer. But now I see very few  tanned people. Like you said, times have changed.

Years ago I saw a derm at Mass General. He said, "Irish skin is very difficult.'' I replied, "But I'm Jewish." He said,"We all have our cross to bear."

Honored Contributor

Re: Maasai earring and bracelet arrived--quick review!

[ Edited ]

I see that Longchamp has a silk scarf in the Maasai necklace pattern:

I like the navy/cherry one & the antique pink ones. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I see that Longchamp has a silk scarf in the Maasai necklace pattern:

I like the navy/cherry one & the antique pink ones. 

Looks like you got the last navy/cherry, JJM. I snapped up the black/coral, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I missed out on the navy/cherry one @WNYgal , but did get the the Anneaux in the black/fig/khaki which I hope will go with the sage items or the dill items Louis has. Or maybe the alibaster. The scarf dimension according to the store I spoke with is 27.5" or 70cm.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Returned from vacation to find the Maasai set waiting. I got all three pieces and love each and every one. I thought the necklace might be too much for me, even at 5'9, but it works. Once I had it on, it didn't overwhelm, and even with the earrings, I think I can carry it off. I'll get a lot more wear out of the earrings and bracelet, but I did try on the necklace over a long chamois-colored maxi dress with a jeans jacket and it looked amazing. And, not in a "trying too hard" way. This beautiful set is a work of art--so distinctive and not too precious to wear casually. 

Valued Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I missed out on the navy/cherry one @WNYgal , but did get the the Anneaux in the black/fig/khaki which I hope will go with the sage items or the dill items Louis has. Or maybe the alibaster. The scarf dimension according to the store I spoke with is 27.5" or 70cm.

There goes your entire mulch budget for the summer.Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Garden is all mulched already! This is my birthday present to me! Hehe in July.