Respected Contributor

Re: Luxury fabrics or brand feasibility

@Seka

Yes!  I so agree with what you have said.  It has been a slow change and sometimes we forget what it all was compared to the "now."  

I too used to buy Denim &Co. and thought of it as a well done Eddie Bauer sort of line, nice quality, pieces to last.  I haven't bought anything from this line in over 10 years.  Even the colors offered did not appeal to me.

Those of us who have been buying Linea from Day One, 16 years ago, know too well how the luxury fabrics and styles have disappeared.  

One year I had a scarlet red knit dress, midi length with an inch band of black around the neckline and I think the bottom of slim long sleeves, covered in jet bugle beads, stunning.  A pair of black pumps or boots, some earrings, and I was ready for any event that winter.  He always had great holiday and special occasion pieces that I totally relied on.

I stopped buying Judith Ripka as prices soared, and quality not as great as it was, the pieces just not my style.  I love what I have but have stopped being tempted.  

So it's been Linea for me, with a few pieces from Halston or Isaac (very few).  I tried Logo, just made me look old and sloppy, so I gave up on that line.  It would seem Logo is very successful, so there is definitely a QVC market for it.  That is all to the good; diversity in choices here only strengthens QVC and allows them to bring us even more.

I hope Louis will be able to continue with some of his amazing standout items, like the Trench, his suede jackets, the WK sweaters along with the basic pieces that are never truly basic due to the cut and style, the colors, the hand of the designer.  I haven't ordered many of the LL things, as I usually get those locally at department store sales, or Marshall's.

Respected Contributor

@author

I can relate to this Beautiful Dress you describe!  -  ''One year I had a scarlet red knit dress, midi length with an inch band of black around the neckline and I think the bottom of slim long sleeves, covered in jet bugle beads, stunning. A pair of black pumps or boots, some earrings, and I was ready for any event that winter. He always had great holiday and special occasion pieces that I totally relied on.''

I have a Silk unstructured Jacket from Linea - 3/4 sleeve (a bit wider than usual) & hip length in Pale Pink - lined in a Taupe Silk - with some Gorgeous Beading just around the neckline.  I first wore this Jacket to my Niece's Bridal Shower - TEN Years ago - and I still wear it!  It still looks Fabulous!

Those were the Great Days at Q!  When Fashion Day had all the key Designers showing their Designs - so much to choose from - and ladies stayed home from work so as not to miss out on the wonderful Items!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A good many of us launched the campaign with Louis some time back to once again bring us the fabrics he used to be able to bring us.  We of course told him that we would pay for the more expensive goods. We didn't get at all far.  Perhaps if the economy starts really booming again the Q will listen to us.  A change of management wouldn't hurt, either!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Seka wrote:

@author

I can relate to this Beautiful Dress you describe!  -  ''One year I had a scarlet red knit dress, midi length with an inch band of black around the neckline and I think the bottom of slim long sleeves, covered in jet bugle beads, stunning. A pair of black pumps or boots, some earrings, and I was ready for any event that winter. He always had great holiday and special occasion pieces that I totally relied on.''

I have a Silk unstructured Jacket from Linea - 3/4 sleeve (a bit wider than usual) & hip length in Pale Pink - lined in a Taupe Silk - with some Gorgeous Beading just around the neckline.  I first wore this Jacket to my Niece's Bridal Shower - TEN Years ago - and I still wear it!  It still looks Fabulous!

Those were the Great Days at Q!  When Fashion Day had all the key Designers showing their Designs - so much to choose from - and ladies stayed home from work so as not to miss out on the wonderful Items!

@Seka

Oh my goodness, I just bought A70392, the same soft pink and taupe beaded silk jacket on eBay for... $3.25! It is absolutely stunning. Took my breath away when I opened the package. I can't believe you described the same garment, A70392!  From the same seller I also purchased a zipper trimmed black boucle jacket A72833 that is a stunning classic head turner. Less than $20.00. These and other garments consigned to this seller are in pristine, probably unworn condition. I've been very fortunate in buying vintage Linea pieces on eBay over the years.

Yet I too would love and appreciate an uptick in quality fabrics to be offered by Louis here. I used to plan to watch the high end designer's shows in the years past too. Such a loss. I guess if your not part of the company store you're relegated to fighting budget constraints and bringing a pleasing marketable line to your eager customers. Louis does a remarkable job but it's frustrating. Can you image how he feels...

Screenshot_2016-08-27-23-56-50.png

Respected Contributor

I am sure that most of us would prefer a return to higher quality fabrics and more REAL tailoring details, but that isn't going to happen at QVC.  The focus here is mass production of cheaply made garments for the lowest amount.  Just look at the number of garments that all look the same, with absolutely no finishing - no placket, no buttons, no hem facings.  These things cost practically nothing to make, yet are sold for at least $50, and mostly at higher prices.

Over the past year, my clothing purchases have dwindled to practically nothing.  I only buy an occasional whisper knit sweater, AFTER it has gone one sale (like the zip front cardigan, which I just snagged in two colors, for $26.)  No more $60 sweaters for me.   I happen to think that 99% of what is available in the market these days is downright unflattering, and I have a pretty strict "no polyester, no acrylic" rule for my wardrobe.  I absolutely won't buy anything containing acrylic, and only broke the no polyester rule to buy the  black Linea trench because most of the reviews for it raved about the quality of the material.  I drastically reduced the number of items in my closet earlier this year, and I like it that way.

Respected Contributor

@rochelleS

Yes!  That is my Jacket!  How wonderful that you were able to find this gem!  The quality is superb!  And your Boucle Jacket (which I don't have) looks exquisite!  Enjoy wearing your new Treasures!

Esteemed Contributor

WHile many of us would be willing to pay the higher prices associated with quality high end fabrics such as cashmere, silk, real leather and real suede that is not what the typical,QVC buyer is looking for and since QVC specializes in volume sales it just isn't cost effective for them and we will never see it happen.  LOok at QVC's top selling brands like SG and D&C.  THese things sell in the thousands every day and they are the foundations of QVC fashions.  EVen the name designer brands like Halston are just knock offs of the designer lines with this name made with cheap fabrics and workmanship.  Unfortunately it is SG's cheap, flimsy polyester in ugly prints and D&C basic clothing in fabric that feels like sandpaper that sell and sell.  LInea was the last holdout against this onslaught of cheap fabric but I am afraid those days are at their end.    I have read these boards for years and posters have begged for better quality design and manufacture of clothing.  NOt only has it not occurred it has gone in the opposite direction because it is what the average QVC buyer is looking for.  THose who are looking for better quality design and fabrics need to stop trying to get it on QVC because we are just voices crying in the wilderness. What I don't understand is posters trying to make QVC what it isn't and will never be.  THere are lots of other shopping venues where the quality clothing lines are available so why keep beating the drums on QVC when there is no one listening?

Trusted Contributor

It is not going to happen. The days of QVC offering style and quality are long gone and sadly that includes Linea.

Respected Contributor

I turn to Linea and QVC because I can get sizes that fit me, that are incredibly difficult to find in stores.  I wear an XL or L or 1X right now, sometimes petite (the wide leg trousers), and Linea fits as if tailored for me.

Designer style that fits at affordable prices, that's Linea for me, so yes, I'd be willing to pay for better fabrics or items with more detail that would up the price.  I am always amazed at the Logo prices and what tailoring you would get in a comparable Linea top for less money.  

I realize what everyone is saying is true; QVC is not a boutique, it is volume sales of Susan Graver and Denim &Co., Logo, etc.  I also realize we are incredibly lucky to still have Linea and I still love and order many new items that are offered with each Linea collection.  And....scoop up some on Clearance!

However I do admit to a panicky feeling that it may come to an end soon.  I hope not, hope Linea perks along with whatever he can negotiate with the buyers.  That will be fine.  

Respected Contributor

We can all dream.  I was smart to purchase his sequin skirt and top a few seasons ago in black.  I still wear that outfit.  In fact last year I wore the skirt with Louis's beautiful pointelle sweater with peplum - sometimes in white and other times in black with the sequin skirt with mounds of pearls.  Great outfit!  Fact is I copied the outfit when Louis presented the pointelle sweater.  But the Q is not ordering that kind of sequin outfit anymore - at least not from Louis.  Believe me I wish they would!

On another front Louis did sweaters in his Posh fabrics group.  I remember from reading his blog that they did not sell like the whisperknit.  I purchased a lovely ivory v neck from that collection that I still wear.  It does require more care than my whisperknits.  I just love his moss crepe clothing items.  I own all of them.  They did not sell fast enough which is a surprise because they are all wonderful. They wil not be reordered, even though reasonably priced, because they did not sell fast enough. Louis is clearly QVC's most talented and honored designer,  but he is under the constraint of mass market sales numbers.

In ending I would love to have fancier fabrics from the Linea Collection, but I wonder if QVC is the right venue for Louis's cashmere and silk designs.  It is quite apparent that QVC based on Louis's more frequent appearances in the future, is trying to up his profile with their customers in prime time.  I am sure this is largely due to poor sales numbers in woman's clothing with their high profile woman's clothiers.  It will be interesting!