Respected Contributor

Louis asking for Opinions - Window Pane Shirt.

On his Blog, Louis has posted this photo and request for input regarding interest in the famous Window Pane Shirt - in a Shantung version.  

I replied YES!

EBD819EF-0F18-4024-9AD1-70B8570202E6.jpeg

Many of you remember the 100% SILK SHANTUNG window pane shirt. The last time it was sold was in 2006 or 2007. It’s  been many years since it’s been avail. Unfortunately, the price increase of silk was so huge that it was impossible to produce it anymore. At one time silk out of China was extremely inexpensive, but the Chinese government changed all of that. Overnight they raised the price of the raw silk thread before it’s spun. That ended my, and everyone else in a certain price range, use of silk. The demand was still there, and many of you asked to please bring it back. A whole group of you have never seen this shirt, and those of you who do have it, are still wearing it. At one point we had  twenty color combinations. A few years ago we had the shirt priced out. It was over triple the amount of the original price. I can’t imagine how much it would cost today………..So why am I bringing this up? On a whim, I asked Elaine, my manufacturer, if she though the window pane could be reproduced in the new stretch SHANTUNG of the India Pink, Turquoise and Lime fame…….We sent a swatch of the original for pattern, and they sent back their version…..which was exact. Side by side you can’t tell the difference, but of course one is silk and the new shantung is polyester………So…….my question to you is….would you be interested in the window pane jacket in the new Shantung. The buyers loved it, but I’m coming to you first before I pursue it any further……….Would you like this new version? Yea or Nay?

Respected Contributor

Re: Louis asking for Opinions - Window Pane Shirt.

A definite yea for me. I was so disappointed when this top was discontinued. I love the new shantung so I would love the fabric in the windowpane shirt.

Respected Contributor

I think I'd like this brought back too; it is a very practical, easy, yet luxe look and would look great w/slim pants, skinny jeans.  A casual boxy top over the slim bottom.  Nice.  Yes please.

Honored Contributor

This may only be a prototype / sample ..... but .....

Look closely at the small pic in the upper right hand corner. 

Note that the side seam appears not to match .... something really rather easy to do with a print like this.

Also - the shoulder seam doesn't match on the large pic in the center.

Honored Contributor

Love the color too. But agree the seam pattern needs to match.

Respected Contributor

Louis' explanation regarding matching the side seams and the shoulder seems on the window pane shirts:  FYI, the photo of the turquoise and navy windowpane shirt is the original silk one that was offered.

Louis' response:

.it is possible to match the side seams, but as you know that takes special laying out of the pattern pieces and a loss of fabric which means a higher price……As for the shoulder matching that’s another story. The front shoulder and the back shoulder are different shapes. A woman’s back, especially at the shoulder, is rounder than the front and the front armhole is different from the back armhole….all technical problems which makes a plaid this size impossible to match at the shoulder. If the fronts and side seams match, the shoulder comes together as what it is. I hope that makes sense. In the end it is up to the buyers how much they will spend. We always offer 3 prices……no matching at all, which I always reject, fronts and backs [if there is a center back seam] which I always insist on. Side seams matching is always a fight. Even the factories don’t want to match side seams. I will do my best…..but no promises……BTW, the photo is of the original jacket that did not match at the side seam and we sold thousands of them.

Comment by Louis Dell'Olio — August 24, 2019 @ 7:41 AM

Respected Contributor

This is the item number for the original Shirt - A107319.
There were 127 Five Star Reviews posted - and 14 One Star Reviews.
Esteemed Contributor

This is a great shirt/jacket. Depending on the color combination, can span four seasons of wearing. It's a classic look yet fun in the versatility of styling options available. I pair this casually to semi dressy and still see alot of other options to consider.

I purchased several on ebay a while back and would love to see some soft metallic choices, that were mentioned by others on Louis' site.

Trusted Contributor

I had to give up my original silk ones as I outgrew them.  I remember the black and khaki and I would love to see that combination again.  I will probably buy the new one(s) if they are offered.  Today I went through my closet and took out a bunch of jackets that are a tad small and that I won't be wearing since I am now retired.  I'm going to donate them,  Room for new!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is not meant to be snarky, and I hardly ever state publicly that I won't buy a particular Linea item.  But for the sake of forecasting sales, I will admit this is not my sort of look -- from the print to the design.  

I've never purchased the Linea windowpane look and most likely never will.  I prefer a softer flow on a blouse or blouse/jacket, and if choosing a print, go more for those swirly paisley thingys that Versace is doing a lot of lately.

As I hinted, I lean toward an entirely different look.   Oh dear, I did not realize that this model has her blouse unbuttoned to a precarious degree and her bra is showing.  That is NOT part of my look. Image result for versace paisley jackets for women

On a positive note, I am ga-ga over my two new Linea moss crepe, v-neck, 3/4 sleeve tops (flattering and smooth to the touch!), my boho skirts in solid colors (finally, I chose the right colors to make them work for me) and my Green Patina Link Necklace and Earrings (which arrived today and are more beautiful than I could have imagined).