Highlighted
Regular Contributor

If Issac can, why can’t Louis......

Just a thought. I love Louis’s clothes more than any other Q designer, but I so wish most items, especially tops, weren’t polyester or poly blend. Issac can bring Pima cotton shirts and cashmere items so am wondering what precludes the PTBfrom letting Louis return to at a least a little of the old days and allow us to have some “real” fabrics again. There could be some linen/ cotton blends that even Susan Graver does sometimes. Denim and Co even seem to have more cotton items. Case in point are Louis’s lovely tunics he just did in Cypress/Linen, navy/ white, and copper/ Black. I got all 3 and they are beautiful, but, Lordy, they don’t “breathe”!  I u derstand that the days of all silk and suedes are over, but except for Linea Leisure, everything is poly 

Honored Contributor

Re: If Issac can, why can’t Louis......

Of course I have no way of knowing , but I would think because that was the IM selling point from the beginning. Also, IM has quite a following and Louis has a loyal following, but it's small. You have to know by now the Q is all about the bottom line.

Honored Contributor

@dodies wrote:

Just a thought. I love Louis’s clothes more than any other Q designer, but I so wish most items, especially tops, weren’t polyester or poly blend. Issac can bring Pima cotton shirts and cashmere items so am wondering what precludes the PTBfrom letting Louis return to at a least a little of the old days and allow us to have some “real” fabrics again. There could be some linen/ cotton blends that even Susan Graver does sometimes. Denim and Co even seem to have more cotton items. Case in point are Louis’s lovely tunics he just did in Cypress/Linen, navy/ white, and copper/ Black. I got all 3 and they are beautiful, but, Lordy, they don’t “breathe”!  I u derstand that the days of all silk and suedes are over, but except for Linea Leisure, everything is poly 

100% on board with this, @dodies

People are giving all sorts of reasons why not.  None of them really make sense.

And, of course, there are always those who think Louis can do no wrong.  To me, that's like saying he has agreed to limit his creativity.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

IM is a ‘house brand’ at the Q as is Susan Graver’s clothing. A lot of the ability to use various fabrics might be part of the nuts & bolts of their individual contracts with the Q. We don’t know the nuts & bolts of their contracts but I do know Louis’ contract is independent of the Q. His brand is not a house brand. He might be very happy with the nuts & bolts of his contract. We don’t know if he is restricted from bringing in other fabrics. 

Perhaps a writing campaign to ask that Louis introduce other fabrics? I don’t know the answer.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

I’m very happy with what Louis brings, and I think there’s something for everyone.

Trusted Contributor

It was about the time that IM came on board that QVC tried to give Louis his walking papers.  Louis' sales were great, and he had much more air time, as well as TSVs.  We had to fight like crazy to get Louis reinstated, and when he was in a very limited way, he was on in the middle of the night and with very limited inventory.  That was also when his budget was slashed so severely that he no longer had it in his budget to bring the fabrics he had been known for:  silks, woolens, cashmere, leathers, suedes, and the like.  So he adapted, as have we.  I have gotten used to the easy care properties of the fabrics that are now in his budget, and think he does a superb job of s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g his budget to get the most bang for the buck and without compromising his inimitable style. 

Respected Contributor

Sorry, but I don't see what is so great about Issac's fabrics. Louis just introduced a cotton/rayon/span pant fabric in a classic 5 pocket jean cut that I personally think is a much better quality than the Isaac 24/7. They are both cotton/rayon/span but the Linea pant is a better fabric to me. The Linea cotton tees are very silky and feel great on. I've had zero problems laundering them. I like linen, but I don't need Linea for linen. There are plenty of catelogues that specialize in all different types of linen. I would like some other fabrics for him to print on, but I've been more than happy with what I have purchased. The new shadow floral is amazing, and a beautiful fabric.I have no hang ups about wearing polyester if it's a good quality.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well stated, Barbara!  Louis was severely curtailed after we fought to keep him!  He has, often, stated that some of his designs cannot be brought back because of the budget he has been given, so it limits his choices.  I find that the details on his designs are like no others on QVC.  He is the only designer on QVC that has his jewelry manufacturer repair his jewelry at no cost except for postage.  That alone is amazing!  Something has changed with QVC's attitude toward Louis, he is getting more shows than ever before and in a decent time slot, too.  They have, certainly, stepped up his appearances.  The target audience for IM is entirely different than Louis'.  Louis has, always, been a dedicated sportswear designer since Ann Klein and is known for it.  A true classic designer.  Even though Linea Ladies would pay more for the fabrics like cashmere, 100% cotton, etc. QVC has chosen not to allow his price point to go above what they deem it to be.  Louis has no choice but to work within the parameters given to him by QVC.  Im does not seem to have the same restrictions.

Honored Contributor

So why couldn't he have printed the shadow floral on a blend instead of pure poly?  

I don't buy this budget reasoning.  Nobody is asking for silk or suede or wool.  

How much of a price difference is there between polyester fabric and a rayon/cotton blend?  Not much (depending on quality).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

That's not necessarily true. It also depends on the quantities ordered. Rayon and cotton blends don't drape like faux silk polyesters. I think the shadow floral is a beautiful light fabic.. Also the duty on fabrics plays into it too. There is a lot that goes on that I'm sure we are not aware of.