Respected Contributor

Re: I need some help creating an outfit, please!

That's a gorgeous jacket! You have many more options than you think.  Of course all the Linea Port items--the WK pants, the Ponte Pants. And as others have mentioned the Winter White Ponted Pants. Jeans---well, of course! Velvet can be dressed up or dressed down. 

Also, is the WK skirt available in the regular length in your size? I'd grab it and wear with boots if I were you.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all your ideas.  The thought of grey instead of black really intrigues me.  I'm going to try it with the white WK Turtleneck and jeans (not sure if Linea black jeans or regular dark indigo) tonight to go to the movies with a friend.  

I have a tuxedo shirt, but its cotton and a bit too stiff to be comfortable beneath the jacket.  I may look for a silky tuxedo shirt in white or ivory.  

If the navy blue one in the picture had been available at the outlet for the reduced price, I would have snapped that up too.  A girl can't have enough velvet. Just ask George Costanza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgmiGN2mi2M

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 . "Ensconced in velvet!" LOL!

I'm not a skirt or dress person but if I purchased that jacket I would pair it up with a great pair of black pants, jeans, or gray pants. 

I love the idea of black pants with a burgundy tuxedo stripe...it would be perfect!  However Joan Rivers has a dark pant with a black sequin tuxedo stripe. A299548 or A299549 (petite).

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Haddon for the Joan Rivers pant idea.  I will search various websites using 'tuxedo' and see what I come up with.  Somewhere there has to be black pants with a burgandy tuxedo stripe!  (hopefully in burgandy velvet!)

I just bought a pair of Earth brand blue velvet sneakers wore them the other day - before the snow started falling!  So comfy.  If the Gili blue velvet jacket comes back in my size (or as is), I may get it.  'Ensconsed in velvet"!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

I would allow the jacket to be the "stand-out" piece, and wear all black with it.

@Desertdi @Sammijo10   Or you could wear a beautiful combination of all gray and this jacket.  What a knockout that would be if you have a gray turtle neck or gray blouse and some gray slacks, regardless.  Even if they are in the WK (gray), with a gray WK turtle neck --- that would be a wowzer.

You could pair it with ivory pants and an ivory sweater or ivory satin blouse (I think Kasper has an ivory beauty in a men's shirt look this season that I have seen on line at both Dillard's and Belk).  What better holiday wear than ivory pants, shirt and a beautiful wine jacket with some knockout pumps.

PS I should have read Marilyn's post before I posted.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10  I can think of maybe a dozen ways I could wear that jacket, but if you ever are tempted to buy something and you cannot think of 3 ways in which you can wear it, don't pull out the plastic.  Be careful with your shopping.  This one is easy.  It can be worn a dozen different ways and I bet you have most of them in your closet, but always ask yourself, "do I have the clothing on hand that I can wear this 3 different ways?"

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday you are so right!  I'm so excited to find longer blazers/jackets that I lose my head!  Because of the beauty of the Linea Port, this dark burgundy color just shouted at me 'take me home and see".  Since retiring, I have been more careful than I used to be as anything could always be worn to work.  

I do like your idea of the column of color beneath the jacket to make it the standout piece.  Right now, I'm still in the admiring stage of looking at it on a hanger in my closet.  I'll start pairing it with items this afternoon.

Regular Contributor

Do you follow the blog Chic At Any Age? I highly recommend it. The latest post features "simple no fuss outfits" for the holidays, centered on a velvet blazer similar to yours. The clothing is mostly British but the looks translate very well.