Trusted Contributor

I need some help creating an outfit, please!

I happened upon this velvet blazer at a local RL outlet in a deep burgandy and snapped it up.  It was under $100 and I was hoping the color would coordinate with all the port items from Louis this fall.  (All I could find on the RL website with the same jacket in navy, but you get the idea of style, anyway.)  When I discovered it was very tonal to the port items I have, I rushed to order the port WK skirt (shorter one) in port only to discover my size is sold out.  This jacket fits me nearly as well as the Linea blazer, but velvet always calls my name! 

So, can I pair this with the ort WK pants?  Are the pants too casual or not texurally correct?  I have the black velvet Linea pencil skirt from a few years ago - would the overall velvet on velvet look odd?  Can I pair this jacket with dark jeans and burgandy tie oxfords or shooties (some sort of white top underneath)?  I'm scratching my head now that my planned on skirt is gone. 

Thanks for your help. I don't want to return the jacket if I can make at least two great outfits from it.

produt-image-0.0

Valued Contributor

Re: I need some help creating an outfit, please!

Well Sammijo, there are always the winter white super ponte pants, if those are left in your size.  I have some of the port WK pants and while I like them a lot, I'm not sure I would pair them with velvet - but you never know til you try.  Looks like you got a great deal.  Sometimes it takes a few fashion seasons to find just the right match.  Good luck and be sure to have fun trying to find the 2 perfect outfits Smiley Wink  I love fashion challenges.  What about the black sequin pants with it, if you happened to get those?  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Owl. I did not get the sequin pants as I was trying to be realistic for a change!  Would the black  faux suede pants be too much texture?  I would love a tuxedo pant in black with a burgandy velvet stripe down the side!  As I'm pear shape, I tend to stick to dark colors for bottoms and the return of the long blazers is perfect for me.  I will have to dig a little deeper into the depths of my closet.

Honored Contributor

I would allow the jacket to be the "stand-out" piece, and wear all black with it.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammijo10

I totally agree with @TheOwl regarding a winter white pant. That's a beautiful look that you can tie together with a print blouse. This vintage silk comes to mind and would be a very classic merger of RL and LDO. I've seen this on ebay. The mushroom  pant looks great with the port too. Or any of the taupes or tan pants you might own or are still available. I like A273303 in Tan. A great pant with an upscale lanquid fit, and beautiful fine wool like hand and appearance. Is the port mock neck tunic available in your size? That would be very nice if you want a tonal look instead of a print, plus it's a great garment you could wear with the WK pant or a print skirt with the velvet blazer. A LBD would work if you tie in complementary jewelry like the Plum carnival necklace to pull the look together. The black/crystal toursade for a dressier look... Shoes could range from pumps, shooties to taller boots, your call, all nicely different. Sheer or opaque hosiery to dress up or down. What about black leggings with boots too?Screenshot_2018-10-25-20-37-44-1.png 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammijo10  Louis has a pair of black jeans that would work nicely.  Joan Rivers has black or white pants with a tonal sequin stripe down the side A299548 that would work.  Louis crepe and velvet dress in port top with black bottom as well.  White shirt with the black jeans, too.  I love white pants with the velvet jacket and the black suede will work as well.  If you dare, just the jacket with nothing underneath for a sexier look and fill in with one of Louis' necklaces. It's a personal choice but I would prefer either black or white for pants  The jacket is beautiful!

Respected Contributor

@Sammijo10

Not into designers anymore....just basic good taste.  The texture of the RL jacket is central.  The pants, skirt or top should be simple but elegant.  Otherwise, they take attention away from the great jacket

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful color and jacket style and what a treat to find this under $100 for RL...I love his clothing.  The picture actually looks more of an eggplant color than burgundy.

My first thought when I saw the jacket was the ponte knit pants in winter white if there are any left.  I snatch mine up as soon as it was posted.

Trusted Contributor

The color looks like it has a lot of blue in it and much more purple than port. I don’t think I would wear them together. I think the jacket will look dynamite with jeans and a simple top. I also see it over red!
Respected Contributor

You did say the photo was a navy jacket and not the one you bought, which is more port, correct? I would definitely wear port WK pants with a port or ivory top and beautiful jewelry like te plum carnival necklace. The heather charcoal grey ponte pant, a flannel grey pant or the long WK skirt in grey would look wondeful. Also, the floral georgette skirt in walnut would be very pretty with a velvet blazer. For a casual look I'd wear a pinstripe shirt, jeans and boots.