Honored Contributor

Re: How do you launder your Whisper Knit?

I put in them a garment bag and throw in with t-shirts in the regular cycle in cold water.  I dry the WK flat.  When dry I put them in the dryer on delicate to get the wrinkles out, fold and put in drawer.  

Regular Contributor

@JGaltwrote:

@many_hosta brings out what may be an important distinction. I do not have any of the ENR Whisper Knit as I found I didn’t like it at all and returned the couple I tried.  Laundering those may be different.

Yes, the ENR garments are much heavier and may have more stretch. I would not hang them to dry.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For ALL weights of Whisperknits:

I turn inside out, place in mesh laundry bag, and wash on gentle cycle, cold water, in a regular load with similarly colored clothing.  Detergent is Tide Free, my regular detergent.  I dry WK flat on mesh drying shelves recommended by a Linea lady several years ago.  I touch up any lingering wrinkles with my full size Jiffy steamer.  Many of my WKs are getting pretty old now and they all look great.  I think it's a miracle fabric.Heart Robot LOL

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

In the washer on delicate

Frequent Contributor

Shoesnbags, Where did you get the mesh drying shelf?  I missed that tip?

Esteemed Contributor

@cafemocha4mewrote:

Shoesnbags, Where did you get the mesh drying shelf?  I missed that tip?

@cafemocha4me

It's actually 4 shelves stacked one above the other, with a motor driven fan that circulates air for quicker drying.  I love mine, but I do live in a suburban house with space to keep it set up in my laundry area.  I would think that this might take up too much space for some people.  Anyway, it's called Hamilton Beach 11510 4-Shelf Garment Drying Station, and if you google this name you'll find it on Amazon and a few other places, including ebay.  It's really good for drying whisperknits.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Frequent Contributor

I wash on the delicate cycle in cold water. I then tumble dry in dryer on fluff air (no heat) for about 20 minutes and then lay them flat to dry. I don't have much space to dry flat so I tend to overlap them and they still come out fine.  Before I discovered I should dry in dryer on fluff air (no heat), the WK would wrinkle and craze (so to speak) and would still be visible after the item was dry and steam would not release them.  I have an HE washer and I think that led to the wrinkling and crazing.  I've not had any trouble with the WK fabric shriking or stretching with this washing/drying method. I hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

@JGaltwrote:

Here is a photo of these super wonderful hangers. I ever so much wish I could get more.  I have searched and searched for drying hangers but never seen anything great like this.  They open up the garment to allow air flow, shape the shoulders, with no stretching of the shoulder and no distortion.  In the good ole days, QVC used to bring the best gadgets.

D726AE17-B9BD-42F3-9DDD-D9F8E01F2CCD.jpeg

You are so right, @JGalt, about QVC used to bring us the best gadgets.  I love this hangar idea.  I also first learned about some wall hangars that are for drywall but make only a small hole.  Gorilla Hooks.  They are curved at the back.  Anyway, I do wish QVC would try to find some more of this type of really useful thing (and let stuff like avocado wires go by the wayside.  You just need a big spoon!).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

By the way, @JGalt, do those great hangers have any identification that is readable showing who manufactured them?  

I've been searching the internet but like you, found nothing at all like them.  I did find some "extension" things that attach to other hangers, but seem a bit complicated.

The ones you have are amazing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I found similar hangers named Hang N Dry, but showing as sold out on both QVC (V26969) and amazon.  Darn.  

@JGalt @x Hedge

4 Hang N Dry Hanger Expandable Sweater Delicates Pants Top Circulate Air No Dent