Regular Contributor

Hand wash the SILK windowpane shirt?

[ Edited ]

I just found one of the original real silk windowpane shirts and am wondering if any of the Linea Laundry Ladies ever tried washing those by hand in cold water?

Trying to remember who is into laundering -- @Seka  @golding76 @rochelleS   

Signed,

Wanting to Save on Dry Cleaning

Respected Contributor

Re: Hand wash the SILK windowpane shirt?

I can only get you know what my drycleaning owner said to me...

He said all fabrics can be washed.

I won't tell you to wash your silk, I washed silk years ago and wouldn't do it ever again, it gets stiff and wrinkles, sorry I ever did it. There was a designer on HSN that all she did was silks and I got sick and tired of those dry cleaning bills so I did what I did.  Never wore that dress again.

BUT, I took the covers off my throw pillows on the couch and removed the covers from the seat cushions and washed those, those turned out great!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @Just Bling ! In the 80s I hand washed (and ironed) my silk blouses and dresses, in super cold water with Woolite. Brrrr! The ironing softened them and they lasted for years, until they were out of style.

And congrats on the throw pillow success Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@CGee  Congrats on finding an original Silk Windowpane Shirt!

While I do wash pretty much most items in my Linea collection - my Silk blouses and Jackets, special Suit Jackets, Skirts, Pants are all dry cleaned (some examples in the photos below).  I try to take special care to keep these items looking great.

A6269A5B-93F0-4C1E-AD2D-0072B757923E.jpeg

8B7CD93C-51B9-46B8-B222-F60CF26BD2EC.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I always hand wash my Linea silk blouses; cool water and a bit of mild shampoo, rinse, blot and lay flat to almost dry then hang.  Steam or iron, better than new, and they get softer and silkier with time and washing. 

I am allergic to dry cleaning chems so I must wash silks and cashmere by hand.  Works beautifully.

Respected Contributor

I wore silk blouses years ago to work and hand washed them in cold water and Woolite as an earlier poster said.  They turned out fine but do need to be ironed (not too hot). to get that silky feel back to the fabric. 

Regular Contributor

Hi CGee!

I have several of the original silk windowpane shirts. I remember there was a posting here a long time ago lauding their quality. I have always hand washed or even used the machine on gentle, cold water, hang damp and iron as needed. 

The general consensus was that they were made of such good quality silk, that they could easily withstand the handwashing. I can attest that it is true. Those windowpane shirts wear like iron!

Shopsy

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey @Shopsy Smiley Happy and gratitude to @Seka @author and @PinkyPetunia ,

My bank account thanks you for saving me $$ on dry cleaning. I'm a careful laundress so will be cautious. I have three of these older windowpane silk shirts now and they're reminders of the high quality silks we used to be able to buy.

I appreciate the helpful advice from all you Linea Ladies!

This forum has been a special place Heart

Respected Contributor

@CGee  - Yes - I agree - the Linea Forum has been a very special place.

@Shopsy  - It was wonderful to see a post from you!  I don’t think I’ve seen you post for at least a couple of years - hope all is well.

Regular Contributor

Hi Seka!

I had some health issues to take care of, plus the challenge of working remotely during COVID - 2020 was no fun. Much better now. I'm retired now and a new grandma, so all is well. 

I was sad to hear about Q discontinuing Louis' line, but seeing all these familiar names on the forum makes me realize how truly special his relationships with his customers was/is. 

I've been reading his blog and there is nothing like it. The photos, the advice, the personal touch... we're very lucky.

Wishing you all the best!