Trusted Contributor

Re: Fashion Trends I saw in Italy

1Jac, I think I spent as much time planning my packing wardrobe as I did planning the trip!  I started with the Linea short trench in olive/black and based everything from that.  I had purchased two pair of the recent Linea jean style pants in black - one petite and one regular.  Added the light weight crepe pants in the sagey/olive color, and a pair of Eddie Bauer olive jean type pants as well as the new faux suede in black.  I hope if there's a reorder of the Linea jean style pants in olive!  I added the short sleeve moss crepe tunic in olive, WK short sleeve top in alabaster and black as well as a new striped tee shirt from Ann Taylor with colors of black, olive, alabaster and pumpkiin.  Once I found that stiped tee, I knew I had something Linea to coordinate and so dug into the closet archives and found the ponte knit topper from a few years ago in pumpkin.  WK cardis in alabaster, olive and black as well as the black/olive zebra striped cardi.  Standard short sleeve tees in black/olive/creme and a black Cutloose dress I found locally (so comfy and flattering).  Added a few scarves and that was it.  I pretty much stuck to the Vivienne Files 4x4 sixteen piece travel wardrobe, except I didn't count the scarves or shoes!   I was so confounded by shoes and probably took one pair too many.  Ah, I found pic of the Earth sneakers that were the most comfy on cobblestones - they worked well with the jean style pants, but I did switch off each day on shoes as my podiatrist suggested.

PAIR

Frequent Contributor

I have been blessed to have been in Italy twice in the past year and a half, both for pleasure.

The first trip, the piazzas and churches were free to enter; but the story was different for the second trip (this May); you had to pay to enter the piazza/church of San Marco in Venice and also the Vatican piazza and St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

After speaking to authorities I discovered why: sadly, there have been too many thefts, pickpocketting and overall uneasiness in the piazzas and churches that tourists favor. There is a new 'group' who is targetting those piazzas and churches, and the fee is to keep them out and have more control of who is in.

Many other large European cities will follow this lead as thefts skyrocket.

Very sad indeed.

Susan

Occasional Contributor

I truly love Italy. Traveling there is so inspiring. The people are so friendly and the foot is just great.

And the fashion. Everything is soooo tasty. I could spent a little fortune there.
Trusted Contributor

Savories, the entrance fee for the churches really surprised me, as well.  I just thought they were being a bit mercenary and never gave a thought to the proliferation of crime in those areas.  It certainly makes sense now.  Paying for the churches in Rome or Florence were there is undoubtedly astounding Renaissance art was one thing, but the churches in Lucca and Siena also charged admission.  Lots fewer people in those cities, and while the churches were stunning, not quite up to St. Peters or Il Duomo.  

I tell you, I won't wait 17 years for my next trip. 

Trusted Contributor

How sad that you have to pay to go into a place of worship. Personally I think that crime is just a sad excuse for yet another way of generating revenue.