Honored Contributor

Dear Louis, How About a Dress Like This?

I saw this dress a moment ago, and the pattern, color and style look like something Louis Dell'Olio could work with.

I'd love a summer dress made along these lines with like or similar colors. The style -- especially the bottom half -- could be modified for us mortals, but I love the top, etc.

Catherine Zeta-Jones is wearing this frock at Wimbledon.  That is her son with her.

Let the games begin: Catherine Zeta-Jones arrived for day 12 of the Wimbledon 2019 Championships with her son Dylan, 18

Honored Contributor

Re: Dear Louis, How About a Dress Like This?

The pattern is interesting but I think the sleeve ends will be a problem. Maybe bracelet length normal sleeves? Raising the neckline too would be good too.  

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I fully agree with your suggestions for modification, JJM.  It has to be modified to be less "St. Tropez, Capri, Portofino."

Louis could bring it into our realm of possibility.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom  You are right about the sleeves.  I could never wear anything with sleeves like that.

Even with regular sleeves that dip even a little, I am always dropping my sleeves in my food.

Sometimes I think I have a hole in my chin.  I eat out 4 or more times during the week.  

My friend sits across from me and she laughs at me because my area looks like a 5 year old has eaten there.

But, being serious.....it doesn't look to me like something Louis would design.  I have a lot of his clothes throughout the years.

They tend to be (for want of a better descriptive word) maybe a little more 'sporty' or when I think of Liz Claiborn, etc, it kinda makes me think of him....Anne Kline too...

I know he used to design more along that way.  I'm not trying to pigeon-hole him, it's just I don't see him with that huge slit and sleeves quite that billowy (that looks like a made-up word.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

Annabelle,

Louis is devoted to classic and sporty looks, but he also has many superlatively flouncy and feminine items.  In the past, he has presented a variety of Pucci-type prints, too, but they are no longer available online for me to copy.  Have you followed his shows recently?  Below are some of his more recent flirty creations.   He's had quite a few blouses with the large and billowy sleeves, particularly this past winter.

Linea by Louis Dell'Olio Wild Flower Cold Shoulder Top - A302603

Linea by Louis Dell'Olio Exotic Floral Print Top - A302600

Linea by Louis Dell'Olio Wild Flower Pull On Ruffle Skirt - A302604

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVC would never allow a plunging neckline like that or a dress with a slit that revealing. I remember seeing clothes and photos of the clothes Louis did at Anne Klein and many especially the evening clothes were very sexy. That's not an adjective used at QVC often. Her son is very handsome. I think he looks more like her than Michael Douglas, but it's hard to tell with the sunglasses on.

Honored Contributor

Love the print and reminiscent of some LDO designs.  I agree with others regarding the too plunging neckline and too reveling slit.  But these, along with the sleeves could creatively be modified in LDO's inimitable way.  Yes, I could see him inspired by the print, but I think his design would far surpass this example.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am surprised that many of you did not understand that I did not expect this dress copied exactly -- that I fully expected it to be modified for QVC-approved modesty (and our sense of decorum).  

What I desire is the ESSENCE of this dress.  I'd like a wrap-around dress that has a V-neckline (not plunging; I'm not 25 or 30 anymore) and this sort of print with similar colors.

That is what I am wanting, spelled out.

Oh, and yes, I would like those ruffled sleeves but have them much shorter for comfort and ease of movement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It must be clear that I am in love with this dress and would adore turning back the clock and marching around in this number, as is.

The colors and the print have grabbed my heart the most, and the wrap-around and V-neck come in second.  The dress is like Diane von Furstenberg's wrap dress on LSD. 

Honored Contributor

I can see this is a lost cause.  Too bad.