Honored Contributor

Re: Clearance item price increases

[ Edited ]

@golding76 In this capitalist society, I don’t think they will decrease pricing on newer items from China. They will increase prices. 

This is why tariffs don’t work. It’s essentially a sales tax on us, the American citizens.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

What you write is absolutely true, JJM.  I'm writing about keeping prices as low as they can be -- but they will, of course, be higher because of these tariffs.   They could be even higher, though, if the increase wasn't "smudged" onto the clearance items, for example.  I am being QVC-specific here.

I don't think my point has been clear, for some reason.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76  Your point was very well made with your great explanations. However, QVC has inched up prices for years; long before the tariffs began. They have a huge amount of stock in inventory that costs them money just sitting there. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

They all play these games. I have seen items in my macy’s Cart go from full price to clearance to even cheaper clearance (with coupon) and then suddenly back to full price. They must have built in IT protocols that make the change based on how things sell to maximize average price.
Contributor

Yes I too noticed that on my wish list.  What is with that - The price should have gone down not up.  It happened on ALL my clearance items.  Plus I think clearance items should also be with reduced or free shipping.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've watched an item go from $20, $25 and now $30. A much older Linea "as is" garment was recently $10, it's now $19.99! A recent LTS was repeated with a $6 increase. I shrug and walk away. No incentive to chase prices as they go up.

Trusted Contributor

Chico's does this all the time....nothing new. Sure is exasperating!

Frequent Contributor

Yes--tariffs are hurting us.