Super Contributor

Clearance item price increases

[ Edited ]

What kind of business model increases the price on an item that went to clearance pricing due to overstock or slow sales? I think all the items on my wishlist that have been on clearance for quite a while all increased by a dollar or two. Not much, but it seems silly if you want to get rid of stock that you would increase the price.

I keep many items on my wishlist that I previously purchased almost like a Pinterest board, so its interesting to see the pricing journey.

Respected Contributor

Re: Clearance item price increases

I have also seen price increases on so called clerance items. 

Valued Contributor

I don't get it either. It is not as if it is a new item and it cost more to manufacture! Or it cost more to ship it to their warehouses! These are items already it stock. I think half of the items on my wishlist went up, including clearance items. Most of the time when that happens, I delete the item. Does QVC think we are not going to notice a dollar or two increase? Penny wise and pound foolish.

Occasional Contributor

Yeah I've noticed most QVC prices have increased lately - most noticably with clothes.  But there are some brands, to me, that are worth the price increase and will stick with them here on the Q.  Otherwise, looking for another online retailer.

Honored Contributor

@moto  It's all about the almighty dollar.  Get as much as possible.

I think a lot of people are like myself (don't keep track) and are not as savvy about pricing as some of you.  

They're banking (sorry, had to use it) on idiots like myself that don't realize about the price bump.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you forgotten about the latest tariffs on so many goods from China, including our QVC clothing, I'm sure?

Now, QVC has to pay more for all new inventory, and I suppose a way of protecting their finances is to spread this increased cost to the customer in a variety of ways, including raising the price of clearance items.  

If the price of your favorite designer's tops rose too much for your pocketbook, you might stop buying altogether.  However, if other items, such as those on clearance, have their prices raised, then that will lessen the price QVC will have to charge on your new item.

...and you will buy.

Esteemed Contributor

QVC also has overhead. As long as items don't sell, they are in inventory. Inventory takes up precious space, which requires HVAC, electricity, employees to package for shipping and returns, and so much more. The more overhead and employees required, the more benefits are paid. It's a vicious cycle when running a large company. A dollar or two increase isn't that big a deal when you look at the big picture of their business.  

If you are going to buy, do it and don't return the items over and over. It costs a lot to repackage time after time. It costs a lot to have hundreds of employees working the shipping warehouses and receiving docks.

Purchase carefully and thoughtfully. You'll safe yourself return postage as well as QVC's bottom line. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Yes, @golding76  but since the items are already here in the US there shouldn’t be price increases. JMO.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Yes, @golding76  but since the items are already here in the US there shouldn’t be price increases. JMO.

you have to look at it this way.......

for example....... a gas station goes out to add ten cents to the price of gas at noon to its sign. why? because the incoming shipment price was increased. the gas already in the ground cost you less, but the price is being raised to accomodate your newly priced gas that is on its way. 

this isnt anything new for qvc really. we have seen items on lunchtime specials/primetime specials/clearance go back up in prices by many dollars daily. it is their "creative pricing." actually, amazon often does the same thing.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

JJM,

I realize it is almost insulting to have them raise the prices on goods already on these shores, but by raising those prices, they will not have to charge as high a price on those items with the latest tariffs slapped on them. Kind of like diffusing the economic sting.

Am I making this clear?  That is how I interpret this.